AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Import Goals: Converted Clicks vs Conversions Interpretation

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have a goal in Google Analytics set up as event-tracking where a click on a button records the event, and I import these goals into Adwords, when interpreting "Converted Clicks" or "Conversions" column, is it possible that multiple clicks on the button from the same user reported multiple Converted Clicks in Adwords?

In other words, when importing goals from Analytics, will Analytics record the event as many times as the button is clicked regardless of the user, then when this data gets imported into Adwords, is the data unique users for "Converted Clicks" or is the data simply a count of how many times the button was clicked regardless of the unique user?

Does that make sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jaradcollier
September 2015

Re: Import Goals: Converted Clicks vs Conversions Interpretation

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jarad,

Here we are focusing on Event Tracking-Goals from Google Analytics and Conversion Tracking from AdWords. As per your scenario, if Event tracking (click of a button) is been recorded as a Goal in Google Analytics. Each Goal in Google Analytics can only be counted once per session.

Here is an example,

A user click on video play button is considered as a event. (eg. Play button clicked). A Goal has been setup with this event (e.g. Video played) and the same has been imported in Adwords for conversion tracking.

Now, if the user clicks the video play button twice per session,

Total Events tracked : 2

Total Goal Completions : 1

Total Adwords Conversions : 1

So by default itself, Event Tracking will be counted unique per session both in Google Analytics as well as Google Adwords. 

For additional information on Analytics and AdWords Conversion Metrics, visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221

Thanks to tom, for asking a valid question.

Thanks!

Shafi Ahamed

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jaradcollier
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jarad,

Here we are focusing on Event Tracking-Goals from Google Analytics and Conversion Tracking from AdWords. As per your scenario, if Event tracking (click of a button) is been recorded as a Goal in Google Analytics. Each Goal in Google Analytics can only be counted once per session.

Here is an example,

A user click on video play button is considered as a event. (eg. Play button clicked). A Goal has been setup with this event (e.g. Video played) and the same has been imported in Adwords for conversion tracking.

Now, if the user clicks the video play button twice per session,

Total Events tracked : 2

Total Goal Completions : 1

Total Adwords Conversions : 1

So by default itself, Event Tracking will be counted unique per session both in Google Analytics as well as Google Adwords. 

For additional information on Analytics and AdWords Conversion Metrics, visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221

Thanks to tom, for asking a valid question.

Thanks!

Shafi Ahamed

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I was wondering about this myself, just last night. Smiley Happy

Here's the analytics help page:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/eventTrackerGuide

"Implicit Count

In Event Tracking, each interaction with a tracked web page object is counted and associated with a given user session. In the reports, Total Events are calculated as the total number of interactions with a tracked web page object. For example, if one user clicks the same button on a video 5 times, the total number of events associated with the video is 5, and the number of unique events is 1."

When you create a goal based on the event, does the goal only count unique events, or total events? If it's only unique events, then the conversion count should be the same regardless of settings, right?

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing out this to me. What I see is, there is a difference in tracking other types of goals and when event tracking goals are used in Google Adwords conversion tracking, whatever be the number of events hit, it will record as unique conversion only.

For other types of goals, this may get differ. I have updated my above reply. Once again, thanks for your great question.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Your answer seems logical Shafi. So long story short, a goal is counted on a per-session basis so if a user clicks a button 16 times during that session, it will only count as one goal completion. When this particular goal from a session where a visitor clicked a button 16 times gets imported into Adwords, it is recorded as 1 Converted Clicks.

Is it safe to assume that converted clicks and conversions metrics will equal each other from imported goals?

Is my understanding correct Shafi?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jarad,

You are right given that you are using event tracking within Google Analytics, your answer is right.

Thanks!