AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Import 50 Locations within one campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, 

I am wondering how  to import 50 different locations into adwords, using the editor.

I got the names and codes of the city from google help, but everytime I try to import, I get an error message. 

I tried several imports: 

CampaignLocation
Garagenkaufen - SearchChemnitz; DE-SN
Garagenkaufen - Search

Halle; DE-ST

CampaignLocation
Garagenkaufen - SearchChemnitz, DE-SN
Garagenkaufen - SearchHalle, DE-ST

CampaignLocation
Garagenkaufen - Search1004911
Garagenkaufen - Search1004956

Would be great if someone could tell me how that works. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Hello Adhummer,   This is a real list of Locations in my...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Adhummer,

This is a real list of Locations in my Editor.

501;506;508;514;527;529;534;539;541;544;560;602;616;622;641;650;659;669;671;678;716;722;752;765;811;820;825;862;Hennepin County, MN US;St Louis, MO US

A few times I managed to export/import a large set of geo-targets from one campaign to another, via the Export/Import CSV features in the File menu. One of the issues is that when locations are stored in the Editor they are usually converted into numbers. In the above list, 501 stands for Baton Rouge, LA; 506 for the Boston MA -Manchester NH Metro etc. As you can see there are a few exceptions, like St Louis, that can't be converted into numbers for some reason.

My guess is the Editor will only upload the geo-target to AdWords w/o erros if you have the locations in the converted number format.

>> I got the names and codes of the city from google help <<

QUESTION: You have the city codes in the number format as above?

Best,

Lakatos

thanks, I got it to work.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I managed to get this to work. Although, I didn't manage with the location code, I probably tried the wrong format though. The format which eventually worked was:

Furstenfeldbruck, BY DE;Germering, BY DE

I did get a list of cities from Google help, but otherwise the help was more confusing than helpful. I exported an existing account and examined the stored location settings, figuring it out.  

Re: thanks, I got it to work.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well done, Adhummer, and thanks a lot for the feedback. Much appreciated ... Robot Happy

Fürstenfeldbruck, Bavaria, Germany

Germering, Bavaria, Germany

What I did not understand is why you needed to contact Google Help to get a list of cities? Did you not try to generate it via the Location Targeting functionality on the Settings page of the campaign? The above 2 cities are available in that tool.

If you export the above 2 locations to a CSV file from the Editor you'll see that their codes are as follows:

Furstenfeldbruck, BY DE;Germering, BY DE

Seems they are not stored by the Editor in the number format. Chances are it's because they are outside the US. (Even Berlin is stored as Berlin, BE DE which translates size is not considered.)

Re: thanks, I got it to work.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, 

I actually had a list of cities which I wanted to include in a campaign; on wikipedia I found  list of all the major cities in Germany, which I wanted to include in my campaign. I had no intention of manualy entering 80 cities. So I had to import these cities using the right format. That was my task. 

On Google help there is an official list of cities, which can be selected in but this list doesn't conform with the German spellings. I did managed to get the needed data in my list with the excel lookup function. 

Again, thanks for helping out.