AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Implications of Starting Over

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am managing an account that has been through 4 managers, 3 website redesigns and a couple of company strategy overhauls. The result is an account with 60 campaigns- 18 enabled, 23 paused and 19 deleted. There are 895 Ad groups, 161 enabled, 629 paused, 266 deleted.

What are the implications of starting over with a new account? We want to preserve our brand, but are downsizing this particular website, and I'd lover to start fresh with an account I can set up and manage properly.

I'd value your input!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Implications of Starting Over

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

For one, you´d not be able to access the data that you have in your present account that easily (i.e wthout logging in). Unless you use Analytics of course, but some reports that you find easily in AdWords can be more difficult to retrieve in Analytics.

I´d seriously hesitate about doing this. If you think you have to many things in your account, just delete some and choose "show only active".

The only really good reason I can think of to start a new account is if the present one has been really badly managed, with a generally really low quality score.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi YardLover,

Even past perfomance of an old account can be overcome within a short period of time as current performance is weighted heavier than historical performance.

I agree, change the view to "All enabled" on the campaign and ad group tabs,  "all but deleted" on the ads and keywords tabs. These option are on the left side of the page immediately below the tabs.

Then I would try to determine why campaigns and ad grops are paused. Are the seasonal? Is the supply short and the ads only run when products are in stock? Will you ever want to re-start those campaigns? If you think you will need to re-start those campaigns, leave them paused. Otherwise, delete them. But be careful and make sure you know what you are doing. As far as I know, you can not undelete a campaign or ad group or ad or keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Yardlover, 

That's a really good question there and the Community has shared some great ideas. 

One thing I would add is that the basic potential problem with starting over is that you lose your performance history data associated with that account. If you have a particularly good performance history this might be something you would want to avoid. However if you performance hisotry was fairly poor then starting from scratch would give you a clean slate and a new chance to get some good performance history. 

Pete is right though, in that if you are performing well at the moment and you are finding the account easy enough to manage, you might want to leave it as it is and build on the performance data you already have. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

As far as I know, you can not undelete a campaign or ad group or ad or keyword.

Actually you can, just change it from deleted to active

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just a heads up for anyone reading in 2015 - the comment above from David_Precisera may have been correct at the time, but is now outdated. Google have changed their rules and you can no longer 'undelete' a campaign, ad group or keyword.

There is a work around, which is to copy the deleted campaign and paste, but the data will be freshly reset for it. It's simply a time saving exercise.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new question related to this topic, please start a new thread.

Thanks!