AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Image and Text Ads in Google Search

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi,

Google has tested the Image and Text ads in the Search Engine Result page:-Link. New achievement in the Search fields.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Image and Text Ads in Google Search

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

It goes without saying that this has some potentially profound effects on SEM. I'd love to hear what the community thinks about this topic!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I think I agree with JP here, the impact could be huge. That's a ton of real estate.

I've not been able to reproduce these myself...SEL listed a few of the companies testing these ads.

In the more recent times, brand specific search results have evolved quite a bit, both organically and on the paid side.  For instance, I only tend to see enhanced sitelinks on brand specific queries.  Also, knowledge graph and G+ data have quite a presence on brand query SERPs.  

I guess for some instances, it could be a good idea but I wonder, with only testing these out on huge brands, what the impact could/would be for smaller brands.  And it goes without saying that a successful test with brand queries could always lead to more expansion of display ads within SERPs. That's not something I really want to think about right now. I can only envision mismatched, poorly put together images lining the SERPs like a bad case of AdSense-itis...please don't!!

The Display side does seem to be getting some more attention and improvements lately, perhaps there is a connection there. Branding and non-direct response marketing has needed a boost for a long time.

Which of these is a better option:

1.Current:

southwest.jpg

Or the new possibility:

southwest1.jpg

Rightfully, this space should be occupied by Southwest Airlines...but how is the burning question.  I actually visually like the newer test option.  But for information sake, the current option provides more information and ways to interact with the company, including a flight tracker.

It's always interesting to peek into the future with Google...just when you think you know...BAM - something changes.  

Interesting for sure...

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
"That's not something I really want to think about right now. I can only envision mismatched, poorly put together images lining the SERPs like a bad case of AdSense-itis...please don't!!" Yup another interesting point.