AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Image Banner Rotation

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello AdWords ppl,

I have in my Remarketing campain 4 Ad Groups.

In one Ad Group I have banners with different size.

For each banner size in one Ad Group I have 2 - 3 graphic.

Impression cap per user per day for each ad group: 10

Each banner has some clicks => its working

I get on a page where are adwerds banners shown.

why if I refreshing the webpage I see all the the time the same banner only from one Ad Group (10 times)?

banners even from one adgroup with the same size are not changing.

Im interested in this because if one banner / offer doesnt work the other one can

- Lukas
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Re: Image Banner Rotation

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas,

The setting to optimize for conversions is what causes you to see the same ad each time. If you want your ads to rotate more evenly, set it to "Rotate evenly". The warning message you see comes from Google programmers who are very confident their programs can do a better job managing your campaign with their programs than you can do yourself manually.

Impression cap of 10 per day is really high.. That cap applies to all impressions for your AdGroup, not each image ad in the group. Showing the same ad 10 times a day will likely result in fatigue quite quickly--that's when a person has seen your ad so often he stops noticing it.

When you set your account to optimize  for conversions, many times that means your test copy won't get enough impressions to make a decision. Ultimately, you need to make the choice for yourself. Are your conversions high enough for you? If they are, optimizing for conversions might be good for you. If you are creating new ads in an effort to improve the conversion rates, set for even rotation to give the new ad a chance to perform.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas, it's a really bad idea to look for your own Ads.  Not only are you skewing the statistics, but it's in no way a "real" test of what other people are seeing.  Ads are not displayed "dumbly" for each impression, there's an interaction with the browser - the individual - that's hard to measure.

If you want to monitor your Ad performance the way to do it is through your AdWords stats, not by trying to second guess performance by observation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Jon

Maybe I skewing the statistics, but I see my banners as a normal user. Therefore I had this question "why one banner from one ad group".

Find me at Google+ l LinkedIn

- Lukas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Could be that the banner you see is the most popular size?

I echo Jon on that. I don't try to "catch and see" my ads on the display. It's tough mission. Rely on AdWords statistics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Lukas M,

What are your ad rotation settings for the campaign? To rotate banners evenly, go to the campaign settings tab and find the rotation settings. I usually do "rotate evenly forever". Otherwise, Google will show the better performing ads more often.

A note to those concerned with him checking his ads live: I had a remarketing campaign for our big Spacefest V event. I set the limit to 3 impressions a day. I kept seeing the ad on sites the have AdSense. I didn't want to see the ad, it just showed up! My own feeling on this is that with the CTR we generally get on the DN, a few more impression does not make a significant difference to the stats, and it's the only way to see it. We can't use the Ad preview tool for ads on the DN.

Now, how do I stop seeing the remarketing ads that are set when anyone visits any page of our site? I suppose I could look for my IP address and not set a cookie if it's me, but that only works when I browse from work where I have a static IP address.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Boys for your ideas.

Pete,

My settings are:

Ad rotation - Optimize for conversions: Show ads expected to provide more conversions

Frequency capping - Impression cap per user per day for each ad group: 10

If I choose your option

Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize

It shows me this warning 

Your ads may not perform as well with this option. Optimized ad rotation is recommended for most advertisers.

In case I am aiming for conversions should I switch from Optimize for conversions  to Rotate evenly?

what I actually want to achieve is: if a user browsing the web I want that not only one banner graphic is shown to him but also some other.

What setting is best for that ?

Thank you

- Lukas

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@petebardo ;

Pete; a quick one:

Can you get an "even rotation" of banners, when different sites have different banner slots available?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Moshe,

No you can't exactly do that. The OP said he had all the same size ads in his AdGroup. In this case you can get even rotation.

I find ad groups for DN that have different size ads, even when 2 of the ads are the same size, even rotation is not achieved.

Pete

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Lukas,

The setting to optimize for conversions is what causes you to see the same ad each time. If you want your ads to rotate more evenly, set it to "Rotate evenly". The warning message you see comes from Google programmers who are very confident their programs can do a better job managing your campaign with their programs than you can do yourself manually.

Impression cap of 10 per day is really high.. That cap applies to all impressions for your AdGroup, not each image ad in the group. Showing the same ad 10 times a day will likely result in fatigue quite quickly--that's when a person has seen your ad so often he stops noticing it.

When you set your account to optimize  for conversions, many times that means your test copy won't get enough impressions to make a decision. Ultimately, you need to make the choice for yourself. Are your conversions high enough for you? If they are, optimizing for conversions might be good for you. If you are creating new ads in an effort to improve the conversion rates, set for even rotation to give the new ad a chance to perform.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Pete,

now it makes sense for me.

I think 10 times per day isnt much if now I create more AdGroups with 4 graphic with the same size.
How many impression cap per day do you usually set?

- Lukas