AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

If using the negative phrase match -"free trial", would free trials be triggered?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also if I used the negative broad match -free trial.  Whould free trials be triggered?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: If using the negative phrase match -"free trial", would free trials be triggered?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

the scenario you described -"free trials" should negate the keyword [free trials] and any other query containing the word Free and Trial together.

I would be a lot less confident about the broad match variation so sick with phrase and exact match negatives for 'free trial'.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: If using the negative phrase match -"free trial", would free trials be triggered?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

-"free trial" prevents any search query containing the words sequence free trial (such as free trial subscription, receive a free trial), but not free trials. Neither does it prevent your ad from showing for trial free (because the order is not right, and phrase match requires a match of the phrase, i.e. exactly those words and exactly in that order).

A broad match negative, as Kim says, is very hard to control, because it may negate all sort of search queries, and I would advise against their use. I personally never use broad negatives, because I may lose impressions without having a way to see which queries were blocked (unlike the situation when you use a broad match positive keyword, and you see the search terms it triggered).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dogtown
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@dogtown, phrase match works with exact phrases, no plurals or any other variations. "free trial" should not trigger free trials until tomorrow. And just as well, -"free trials" does not prevent free trial from showing up. "blue widge" does not trigger on blue widget. All words, in exact form and sequence, have to be present.

Don't worry about anything. When in doubt, ask. No question's too trivial.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

the scenario you described -"free trials" should negate the keyword [free trials] and any other query containing the word Free and Trial together.

I would be a lot less confident about the broad match variation so sick with phrase and exact match negatives for 'free trial'.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

-"free trial" prevents any search query containing the words sequence free trial (such as free trial subscription, receive a free trial), but not free trials. Neither does it prevent your ad from showing for trial free (because the order is not right, and phrase match requires a match of the phrase, i.e. exactly those words and exactly in that order).

A broad match negative, as Kim says, is very hard to control, because it may negate all sort of search queries, and I would advise against their use. I personally never use broad negatives, because I may lose impressions without having a way to see which queries were blocked (unlike the situation when you use a broad match positive keyword, and you see the search terms it triggered).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@AdWiser

I know I am probably mincing words but if the negative phrase match is -"free trials"  would that prevent free trial from showing up?  I am asking this is if the plural form of trials in quotations would automatically would include the singular form too therfore free trial would also be blocked.  Or would I have to separately create another singular verison -"free trial" to block out both singular and plural versions.  

I know with positive phrase match "free trial" would also trigger free trials but "free trials" would not trigger free trial. Correct me if I am wrong this other point also.

Thanks a bunch.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author dogtown
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@dogtown, phrase match works with exact phrases, no plurals or any other variations. "free trial" should not trigger free trials until tomorrow. And just as well, -"free trials" does not prevent free trial from showing up. "blue widge" does not trigger on blue widget. All words, in exact form and sequence, have to be present.

Don't worry about anything. When in doubt, ask. No question's too trivial.