AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

If I run 2 campaigns for 2 different sites will this cancel one of them out

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have two websites one for chauffeur services which targets chauffeur cars, airport transfers and events, and another site that targets just airport transfers.  Will running two seperate campaigns for these websites, cancel the other out if they type in airport taxis in the same area for example?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: If I run 2 campaigns for 2 different sites will this cancel one of them out

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

Peter5717 wrote:

I have two websites one for chauffeur services which targets chauffeur cars, airport transfers and events, and another site that targets just airport transfers.  Will running two seperate campaigns for these websites, cancel the other out if they type in airport taxis in the same area for example?

Thanks

It's not actually cancelled but it will depend upon the search query which the user has entered and what kind of keyword you are running. So based on the keyword relevancy with the user's search query, the one which wins the ad auction will be eligible to show and not the other one.

I would suggest you to first make a strategy and have different kind of keywords for both websites. Then in order to ensure that the keyword you want to trigger ad from is the one actually showing the ad, you will have to use the embedded negative keywords. 

Another way could be that the keywords which you use in one campaign (website 1), add them as negative keywords at the campaign level for campaign 2 (website 2) and vice versa. That's another possibility.

Just few of my suggestions!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Peter,

As Pankaj noted, using negative keywords (I've actually never heard them referred to as embedded before, learn something new everyday here) properly can certainly help you dictate where you would like the users directed within your campaigns/ad groups.  That technique is quite useful when you're using similar keywords across an account.

That aside, I had another thought that I wanted to share.  You may find that forcing separation of your campaigns/sites may be a bit easier if you focused them this way:

Site/Campaign 1: chauffeur cars & events

Site/Campaign 2: airport transfers

I'm not sure if this makes sense for your business but setting up this way there is no direct overlap in what you are trying to promote. 

But if you end up with similar keywords that do indeed overlap across ad groups or campaigns, even with the use of some negatives, there is still a possibility you could have multiple keywords match a search query.  When that happens, Google makes the decision of which ad to show and you can read more about that here: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2756257

Ultimately, the more refined you can make your campaigns, the more control you will have on which ads to show when your keywords match search queries thus increasing the relevance of those ads to the user.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Super thanks, this is the info I was after.

Pete