AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

IP Exclusion using CIDR notation or /16 block

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I get some help from a google employee or insider?  The following should be a feature request since it is a basic feature and I don't see why everyone wouldn't use it.  Until it is implemented, can someone make an exception and apply the following request manually to  my account if I give you list of IP blocks?

Issue:  You can choose targeted/excluded locations but not the same for IPs and not in a sane manner.  The current IP exclusion implementation is broken because you can only enter a /24 range of IPs to be excluded using glob or .* notation.  This is useless if you want to block a larger range such as a /16 which requires 256 entries.  Also, the exclusion list is limited to about 400 entries which means I can only block less than two /16s.

Why would you want to do this you might ask?  For the same reason you do targeted/excluded locations.  In my case I want to exlude all colleges and universities that are in my targeted location.  My keywords are very popular with students and some of them click on my ads and cost me money.  Unfortunate I am not targeting this group at all and want to exclude them.  It is a simple matter to get the list of ARIN assigned IP blocks that belong to all of the schools in my area and I would like to exclude all of these ranges.  If the exlusion list allowed CIDR notation, then 400 entries would be more than enough but we're using globs *. 

To show that this feature's benefits extend beyond my exact situation, take the following examples.  You want to target all verizon mobile customers.  Again, it is a simple matter to get a list of the IP block assigned by ARIN to verizon.  Although in this case google needs to add the feature of allowing a Targeted list of IPs.  I'm not sure why they don't already offer this since it is the exact mirror of the block feature.  Similarly you could use this to add all IPs for a specific ISP like Comcast, or to exclude a competitor if they are big enough to have their own block assigned by ARIN.  Perhaps you don't want to waste ad dollars on government employees surfing at work.  Most government ranges assigned by ARIN are well known as well.

TL;DR

Google please add "Targeted/Excluded IPs" to mirror the "Targeted/Excluded Locations" feature and allow the entries to be entered in CIDR notation.  Until this feature is added, can somone please manually enter a list of about 20 CIDR blocks to be excluded from my campaign because the glob .* notation just isn't cutting it.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP Exclusion using CIDR notation or /16 block

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Michael,
I've run into this before and you're right. However, Google doesn't just block the IPs, it also blocks the networks associated with those IPs. Unfortunately, there's not much detail on what exactly that is so I can't advise any further.

If you want to explain EXACTLY what you're targeting and how you're going about it, we might be able to come up with a solution (I know I've answered a few of your questions on location targeting before).

Unfortunately, your situation is FAR from common (What I know of it) so it's unlikely a high priority for AdWords in terms of feature requests.

Anyway, let me know more details and let's brainstorm this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't believe that Google blocks the networks associated with excluded IPs unless you tell it to. If you list a single IP from an ARIN block assigned to Comcast, I doubt Google is going to block several /16s or hundreds of thousands of IP addresses that are assigned to Comcast. If you use their wimpy * notation, you can block a /24 or 256 IPs and in that case you may be blocking the "network" associated with the IP, however unless it is a small network you aren't blocking everything unless you block the entire ARIN block of assigned IPs for the organization. I don't really want to go into the details of my ad campaign because it is not really relevant to the discussion at hand. I am targeting down to the city and county level which is as far as Google lets you go unless there is a new beta feature that lets you specify street addresses. I don't think my feature is far from common at all. Rather I think that most people don't know what is possible and don't know what they want until it is presented to them. I bet that if Google added a giant checkbox button that said block all schools from seeing your ad within your target area, that there would be a lot of customers that would click that button. Unless your ad is targeting students or a younger audience, why would you want to even risk the possibility of paying out $20 per click to students with no money that are not going to buy anything? Similarly, if there was a giant button that said exclude corporation X or government org Y, I bet there would be a lot of adwords customers who would use those buttons. It might not be 80% but I bet there would be at least 5% that would use it. Although I doubt such a button would ever be added, the functionality of such a button can be made available if Google would allow CIDR notation for IP exclusions. As an adwords customer, I know that I would appreciate the ability to do this and I really hope that they will add this functionality instead of imposing an arbitrary limitation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree with Michael this is a feature that needs priority. I have many clients spending well over 10K per month that geo target specific metros but I keep finding ips in the logs from japan, china, india, etc that google's system didn't catch. It's most likely competition using a proxy. I need the ability to block entire blocks as well to protect my clients. These IPs coming from said countries shouldn't even have the ability to see the ad even through a proxy. So PLEASE submit a feature request. I don't think that's to much to ask, especially knowing my clients spend close to a million dollars per year on adwords.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're spot on Michael, allowing CIDR notation for IP exclusions would make life much easier.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I would love to see this feature implemented. a /24 is weak and definitely needs to be upgraded. I wouldn't even mind adding the the rages myself. Maybe they could add where you can input /16 or /20 at the end if the ip's or maybe just add more wildcard options as 64.*.*.*

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Goolge, I'd also appreciate CIDR usage very much. Also seems extremely easy to implement by an intern in one working day or so.