AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

IP Exclusion not working

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I defined an IP exclusion on a search campaign using  CIDR format, however I'm seeing clicks coming from IPs within that range

I'm also a bit confused regarding where IP exclusions are available as according to this page https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en

IP exclusions aren't available for ANY campaign type... (see 'Keep in mind')

Any ideas ?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP Exclusion not working

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Alda R

Unfortunately, CIDR format is not supported.  IP exclusion is only available for the "all features" setting where you see it labeled "standard" on the mentioned support link.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
When you click the IP Exclusion option in the Adwords interface it says:
"You can use full IP addresses or the wildcard character (*) in place of the last 3 digits of IPv4 addresses, indicating a block of addresses, or CIDR IP address blocks."

I understand from the CIDR is supported - am I wrong ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Also - there is an example of a CIDR block in that same place

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Alda R

Wow, that's new to me! It used to not be. Not sure when that change happened.  If you see the screenshot in Step 6 of the support link you shared, it does not mention CIDR.   I did a search for it, and I could not find anything mentioning this update.  

My thought now is that your range is too wide.  Before it was supported you could block 123.4.5.*, but not 123.4.*.*.  Is your CIDR range wide like that?  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah it's interesting they didn't update the support page yet.

The range in the example from the Adwords interface spans from 123.4.0.0 to 123.4.255.255 - (123.4.0.0l/16)
The range I put in was a lot smaller (but still more than just 256 addresses which would be the equivalent or 123.4.0.*)

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Alda R

I'm really at a loss here. Point taken about the 123.4.0.0/16 example. I didn't really look at it that hard.  I notice when you try to do 123.4.*.* it won't allow it. I find it weird that it is okay to do with this new format.

I've been searching trying to find someone talking about. The most recent article I found was in Feb 2016, and it was complaining about CIDR not being available.  So it would seem this is at least a somewhat new update.

Are you getting a lot of traffic from this excluded range or just a little?  There is this note on the exclusion page that states, "You may still get some impressions and clicks from excluded IP addresses if a Google Network site doesn't provide users' IP information."   That would mean it was coming from a search network site.  Do you have that enabled?  (I'm assuming this is a search campaign.)

Is calling Google support an option for you?  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks David

It's very odd that in some cases Google doesn't know the client IP - how then does it know to target ?
In any case, if the meaning is the Search Partner option in the search campaign then yes - it's enabled

I also contacted support - however received no response thus far

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
the issue is usually not related to not knowing
the ip details but rather, the information is not
made available -- e.g. related to privicy policies.