AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

IP Exclusion not working

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I defined an IP exclusion on a search campaign using  CIDR format, however I'm seeing clicks coming from IPs within that range

I'm also a bit confused regarding where IP exclusions are available as according to this page https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en

IP exclusions aren't available for ANY campaign type... (see 'Keep in mind')

Any ideas ?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP Exclusion not working

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Alda R

Unfortunately, CIDR format is not supported.  IP exclusion is only available for the "all features" setting where you see it labeled "standard" on the mentioned support link.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
When you click the IP Exclusion option in the Adwords interface it says:
"You can use full IP addresses or the wildcard character (*) in place of the last 3 digits of IPv4 addresses, indicating a block of addresses, or CIDR IP address blocks."

I understand from the CIDR is supported - am I wrong ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Also - there is an example of a CIDR block in that same place

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Alda R

Wow, that's new to me! It used to not be. Not sure when that change happened.  If you see the screenshot in Step 6 of the support link you shared, it does not mention CIDR.   I did a search for it, and I could not find anything mentioning this update.  

My thought now is that your range is too wide.  Before it was supported you could block 123.4.5.*, but not 123.4.*.*.  Is your CIDR range wide like that?  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah it's interesting they didn't update the support page yet.

The range in the example from the Adwords interface spans from 123.4.0.0 to 123.4.255.255 - (123.4.0.0l/16)
The range I put in was a lot smaller (but still more than just 256 addresses which would be the equivalent or 123.4.0.*)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Alda R

I'm really at a loss here. Point taken about the 123.4.0.0/16 example. I didn't really look at it that hard.  I notice when you try to do 123.4.*.* it won't allow it. I find it weird that it is okay to do with this new format.

I've been searching trying to find someone talking about. The most recent article I found was in Feb 2016, and it was complaining about CIDR not being available.  So it would seem this is at least a somewhat new update.

Are you getting a lot of traffic from this excluded range or just a little?  There is this note on the exclusion page that states, "You may still get some impressions and clicks from excluded IP addresses if a Google Network site doesn't provide users' IP information."   That would mean it was coming from a search network site.  Do you have that enabled?  (I'm assuming this is a search campaign.)

Is calling Google support an option for you?  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks David

It's very odd that in some cases Google doesn't know the client IP - how then does it know to target ?
In any case, if the meaning is the Search Partner option in the search campaign then yes - it's enabled

I also contacted support - however received no response thus far

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
the issue is usually not related to not knowing
the ip details but rather, the information is not
made available -- e.g. related to privicy policies.