AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

IP Exclusion Tools and Mobile Devices

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm currently working with a client who is looking to eliminate clicks from their own clients and malicious competitors. Working from his server logs he's provided a list of IP addresses that are regular offenders.

However, when looking at mobile devices - ipads, tablets, phones, etc - it becomes clear that they rotate IP addresses at a quick pace and therefore cannot be tracked correctly in terms of excessive clicks. Is there anything that can be done to see accurate click numbers from mobile IPs?

Do to the rate at which IP adresses can shift and change at the will of the ISPs the IP address exclusion method is close to pointless as it sits now. Even something as simple as running through a proxy is enough to allude the IP exclusions that could be put in place through adwords. Is something being done to enforce a more accurate and efficient way of excluding malicious clicks?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: IP Exclusion Tools and Mobile Devices

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi SESGlobal,

I hope you know about IP exclusion setting in Adwords. In this setting you can exclude the IP which is resulting in as inappropriate clicks that you mentioned in you message. In case if you dont know anyting about IP exclusion setting please refer to this link.

Also, please note before addding IP's in Exclusion Tool, confirm that these IP's are really regular offenders or else

you might end up losing your potential clicks from those particular IP's. I hope you get my point here.

To add more to the conversation there is a metric called invaid clicks in Adwords, where you get full refund by Google on those clicks which are considered to caused due to some automated software. So, bascially no need to worry if you are getting irrelevant clicks accordingly to your calculations you'll get a refund in your account. Refer to this article incase if you dont know about invalid clicks.

I hope this Helps!

Thanks,

Azeem Shaikh

Azeem Shaikh
SEM Freelancer & Consultant.
Adwords & Bing Ads Certified Individual.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SESGlobal,

I would tend to agree with you on the usefulness of IP Exclusion, but it does have its place and can be useful.

If you haven't added the invalid clicks column to the campaigns tab, it would be a good idea to add it now. You can also check the billing tab to see how many invalid clicks have been credited to the account.

Google does pretty well at detecting invalid clicks, but the system is not perfect.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar question. I wish to employ the IP exclusion tool to eliminate malicious clicks from mobile users. The challenge is in targeting dynamically issued IPs for mobile users. Is there another way to better manage this issue and eliminate these users from seeing/clicking on my ads? I have campaigns showing 75%+ invalid clicks so the abuse is rampant and I feel I am still experiencing invalid clicks that are not being captured by the invalid tool.

Thanks

IP Exclusion Tools and Mobile Devices

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I had a similar case with a client in the locksmith business, the only solution that worked for me was a third party service called clickcease.com