AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I want to use broad modifier negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For example,

First, I have 2 broad modifier keywords +a +b +c and +a +d +b +c +e in 2 adgroups. If my clients search keywords like this c e d b a, a b c d c e, a d b e c which the adgroups will be actived +a +b +c  or +a +d +b +c +e?  

Second, I want keywords like a b c d c e, a d b e c, c e d b a don't appear 100% in adgroup contain +a +b +c,  can I write negative keyword of this adgroup is +a +d +b +c +e? or can I do it in this case?

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luu C
March 2016

Re: I want to use broad modifier negative keywords

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Luu.

When using negative keywords, you don't use BMM as negative, but rather simple broad, which on the negative side works as BMM.

So, if you want to exclude c e d b a from the Adgroup with +a +b +c, you should use an Adgroup level negative broad keyword like: d or e or e d.

Here is a nice link that shows you how the types of negative work, with examples.

This is from the Adwords API, but pay attention to the table that shows how negatives work in Adwords in general.
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/conflicting-negative-keywords#scenario

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The question is moot, because BMM doesn't work for negative keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luu C
March 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Luu.

When using negative keywords, you don't use BMM as negative, but rather simple broad, which on the negative side works as BMM.

So, if you want to exclude c e d b a from the Adgroup with +a +b +c, you should use an Adgroup level negative broad keyword like: d or e or e d.

Here is a nice link that shows you how the types of negative work, with examples.

This is from the Adwords API, but pay attention to the table that shows how negatives work in Adwords in general.
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/conflicting-negative-keywords#scenario

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Luu, how are things?

Addind something to Arik answer: When adding keywords as negative with broad matchtype, you need to be very careful.

It's important to remember that keywords with two or more terms in broad match it's the same as having those terms individually. So in your example, if you have the keyword "a d b c e" it's the same as if you have them separate: "a", "d", "b", "c" and "e". This can cause a lot of conflict and may cause your ad not to appear, so watch out.

When using keywords with two or more terms, I always prefer to combine them with Phrase matchtype to prevent this from happening. Using Phrase or Exact match type in this case will force you to write more variations of that keyword (because in phrase and exact the order does matter), but prevent problems for you in the future.

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click