AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I want to test two new ads in an ad group - what is best practice? An experiment?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

I have an ad group that doesn't perform as well as it should. QS and bids are high, and the landing page feels very optimized, so I suspect that the ads are not good enough (they are very generic).

Right now I have two ads running indefinitely, and I feel like I want to test two different ones for a period of time. What's the best practice here? If I simply pause the two ads and run the other two, I feel like I risk making even worse ads.

Then I looked into campaign drafts and experiments, but that only seems to be campaign level. The company has a lot of ad groups under the campaign, so wouldn't that screw up the comparison in the end? Or can I evaluate the experiment on an ad group level as well?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I want to test two new ads in an ad group - what is best practice? An experiment?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Martin,

To get the most from testing, you will want to keep those creatives (do not delete). You should review Google AdWords Best Practices for testing & optimizing creatives. And you should utilize the Ad Preview & Diagnosis Tool.

Also, be sure to review information about Ad Rotation... and set your ads to rotate evenly when testing.  

Kind Regards,

James

I want to test two new ads in an ad group - what is best practice? An experiment?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The best would be to run a statistical  test. Run indefinitely not necessarily  shows equal impressions. (It boosts the lower performing ad, but not necessarily  shows an equal distribution of impressions). I have not run an experiment  for  a while, however looking at the help center it does show that testing different ad-copies is an option.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6318732#experimentsunsupported

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James. Thanks for your comment and tips. I've looked into the best practices, and I'm often using the Ad Preview & Diagnosis Tool.

Regarding ad rotation, thanks for for pointing that out.

However, I want to only test two new ads in one ad group. One ad group out of 10 min that campaign. Can I test only that ad group is a way, without affecting the rest of the campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. Thanks for your comment.

How do you propose that I run a statistical test? I'm not familiar with best practices here (I'm pretty new to Adwords).

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

AdWords campaign  drafts and experiments ;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6318732?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin S
May

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Martin,

You are very welcome. 

I agree with Moshe... and would add that you can also duplicate the ad group, and then remove one add from each so that you have an identical ad group but with one ad in each. You can even do the the same but by creating a new campaign first and then putting the ad groups in it. The system will process and serve the ad with the most relevancy (quality score). Then you can simply pause the new campaign or ad group) and copy the new ad (best performer) to your older, existing ad group.

Kind Regards,

James