AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I want to target my converted visitors with a 4 week delay with remarketing in the Display netwerk.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hope there is someone who has the answer.

Case:

I want to target my converted visitors in de Google Display Netwerk from week 5 in week 9. week 6 in week 10 etcetera.

Setup now:

Prework

Planted the "retention" remarketing code on the different Thank you pages  

Week 5

Making a remarketinglist with the retention remarketing code name: Week 5 - target week 9.

Week 6

Press at the beginning of week 6 on CLOSED, no more converted visitors in this list.                              

Make a new remarketinglist with the retention remarkering code name: Week 6 - target week 10.

We skip week 7 en 8 and go direct to week 9.

Week 9 (now the adds are going to run for the people who converted in week 5)

Making an custom combination:
with:       Week 5 - target week 9 (I have to set al the remarketinglists on OPEN)
without:  Week 6 - target week 10, Week 7 -target Week 11, Week 8 -target Week 12, Week 9 -target Week 13

Include the custom combination list in my adgroup and run the ads.

Week 10
Now i have to exclude people who will go convert in week 10 by adding the Week 10 -target Week 14? I have to do the same in week 11 12 13 14 etc.?

Question:

- Is there a more easy way?

- Can i say to Adwords: the people who end up in this remarketing list can be targetted 30 days after they converted?

Extra:

- I don't want to change the codes weekly on my thankyou pages. This way i could keep the status of the remarketing list open instead of closed.

- I can t see how frequency caps would help here? You?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: I want to target my converted visitors with a 4 week delay with remarketing in the Display netwe

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello -

You are definitely over-complicating this. It's much easier. All you need to do is setup 2 retargeting lists, one time. And then you will create a Custom Combination out of those 2 lists.

1st - you will setup a standard retargeting tag to target users for 60 days that have purchased or reached your thank you / confirmation page. Place the code only on the final page they see after the desired action.

2nd - you will setup a standard retargeting tag to target users for 30 days that have visited your site. Place that in a global footer or on product pages, etc.

3rd - Create a Custom Combination. You will want to start with the 60 day tag, and Exclude the 30 day tag. This will essentially delay the ads for 30 days and then show your user ads for 30 days after the delay.

The 1st tag duration is setup by adding your desired run-time + your desired delay. In this case, it was 30 days each, but it could be whatever you want, I believe up to a year.

*One more general retargeting tip is essential to staying on the good side of your visitors. Limit Impressions. I suggest setting the limit between 5 - 10. This is a Daily limit that a user can see your ad around the Internet. If you do not set this, it could become overwhelming to your user and give them a bad taste about your site.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Kim_Clink (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: I want to target my converted visitors with a 4 week delay with remarketing in the Display netwe

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello -

You are definitely over-complicating this. It's much easier. All you need to do is setup 2 retargeting lists, one time. And then you will create a Custom Combination out of those 2 lists.

1st - you will setup a standard retargeting tag to target users for 60 days that have purchased or reached your thank you / confirmation page. Place the code only on the final page they see after the desired action.

2nd - you will setup a standard retargeting tag to target users for 30 days that have visited your site. Place that in a global footer or on product pages, etc.

3rd - Create a Custom Combination. You will want to start with the 60 day tag, and Exclude the 30 day tag. This will essentially delay the ads for 30 days and then show your user ads for 30 days after the delay.

The 1st tag duration is setup by adding your desired run-time + your desired delay. In this case, it was 30 days each, but it could be whatever you want, I believe up to a year.

*One more general retargeting tip is essential to staying on the good side of your visitors. Limit Impressions. I suggest setting the limit between 5 - 10. This is a Daily limit that a user can see your ad around the Internet. If you do not set this, it could become overwhelming to your user and give them a bad taste about your site.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@ Jordon Meyer thanks for your quick and good answer!

Already done this. So i'm set to go.

Only 2 problems:

--

What happends if a user (who converted 20 days ago) comes to the site and doesn't convert?
Then the delay is again 30 days because the cookie gets updated and reset to 30 days in the standard retargeting tag?

--

What happends if a user who converted gets target by my display ad (after 30 days) and clicks on an add and doens't convert?

He will not see any ads from the display netwerk for the coming 30 days for sure, right?

--

Any workarounds here?

Thanks in advance,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am in a somewhat similar situation. I've created 2 distinct remarketing codes: 1 for general website traffic and 1 for converted traffic (in this case a conversion is a registration for a conference). 

What I want to do is create a custom combination that would exclude members that are ONLY part of the general remarketing list. If a user is a member of both audiences, that is fine, and if they are only a member of the converted traffic audience that is fine. But if they are only a member of the general audience, I do not want them to see my ads. Is this possible?

I guess a work-around would be that the user must be a member of BOTH remarketing lists in order to see the ads. Since the general website tag is installed on every page of the site, then theoretically anyone that is a member of the converted audience should be a member of the general audience too. Does that sound like a reliable work-around?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jkowaloff,

Im not sure if i get your case and question right.

I have 1 question for you:

---

Why are you placing the general website traffic remarketing tag also on your thankyou pages?
Tthankyou page is in this case the confirmation page of the registrationform for the conference.

---

"What I want to do is create a custom combination that would exclude members that are ONLY part of the general remarketing list."

If your not able to get the general remaketing tag placed only on all pages without the thankyou pages you should:

Keep it the same and:

1. Make a custom combination

2. Include General tag traffic list.

3. Exclude converted tag traffic list.

---

Hope i could have helped you.

Good luck and have a good weekend!

Re: I want to target my converted visitors with a 4 week delay with re

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Expected,

Did you ever get Jordons Meyers solution working?
It seems to be the best way forward but your questions above are making a good point.
I am wanting to display remarketing ads to users have have been to the site 30days ago.
I know this is an old forum question, so hopefully I get a response.

Thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kelsie,

Create the following lists in Analytics or Adwords:
- All visitors 30 days
- All visitors 60 days

Make a remarketingcampaign were you exclude the 30 days list and target the 60 days list.

Only problem is still that they click only once on your ad and the end up in the 30 days list which is excluded.

You could make a "short/direct" remarketing list of 1 or 2 days old, make a new campaign (or adgroup) which targets those users.

Hope i could help.

Thanks,
Yde

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Expected,

The solution seems logic. I will give it a go and see how I get on.

Thanks for your response Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Let me know how it works out.