AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I really don't understand how important negative keywords are......

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apart from making sure keywords don't clash, how do I handle negative keywords to better optimize my ads? All I receive from wordstream at the moment is "we can save you money on your ppc campaign" but I really just want to know how important they are. Also, I have 25 ad groups as I'm taking a granular approach (seems to be working quite well), so it's going to take a while I guess.....Can anyone shed some light? I'd be most appreciative.

Joe

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I really don't understand how important negative keywords are.....

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Liftshare A

I would see if you can make ads better by testing negative keywords. Decide on a date and a period to test them. For example, for a week. Then compare your results with a previous week to see if your adverts gained more conversions, sales or leads (depending on what your goal is).

Another option is to go to the keywords section of the ad group and click on "Details" box and then click "All search terms". This will show you all the search terms and which one got you conversions or not. So you could see if there are terms that keeping getting clicks and no conversions. Then add them as negative keywords. 

Hope this helps you

Kind regards

Feilim

Re: I really don't understand how important negative keywords are.....

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Please note that negative keywords are as important as your regular keywords. It's not only about the keywords clashes here, but the important thing is how relevant are the search terms your account is getting when someone see your ad and click on it.

So try to work on your Search Terms Report and apart from the fact whether they have converted or not, first see the relevancy of that query. Otherwise you might end up adding excessive negative keywords which could prevent the relevant traffic coming to your site in future.

Read the below article by Neha explaining how important these negative keywords are and how you can make the best use of them:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Key...

Pankaj