AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I need some help regarding HTML vs. Flash Display ads...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

So we've always created display ads using flash, which then obviously also gets converted to an HTML file when you upload to adwords, leaving you with a Flash and a HTML ad.

But since Google Web Designer was released, it has let us create display ads in a much simpler way which ends up taking much less time than creating them in Flash. GWD outputs in HTML, but uploading them to adwords leaves us without a flash version.

Here lies the problem: I've heard from various sources that many websites on the GDN which host display ads, will only host Flash ads and not HTML. Having heard this, I've tried to research further but can't for the life of me find anything concrete.

Can anyone shed any light on this matter? If it is true, what proportion of sites don't accept HTML ads?

Thanks a bunch.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Maxime Test (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: I need some help regarding HTML vs. Flash Display ads...

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi George,

You shouldn't observe a very significant difference between using only HTML5 vs Flash+HTML5. 

The difference should come more from users who still use very old browsers who don't support HTML5 but do support Flash. But again, it represents a small amount of traffic.

HTML5 really is the way to go, that's the format we recommend for building rich media creatives with going forward.

- Maxime

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi George,

I have been trying to find some solid information for you also but struggled to find anything official unfortunately.

The fact that Google is automatically converting Flash ads into HTML5 makes me think that's the format to focus on regardless of what rumours are out there. The fact that Flash is automatically getting converted also takes the decision out of our hands to a certain extent anyway.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Scotty,

The lack of solid info is the main problem here! Obviously doing them in flash and letting adwords convert them is covering all bases, but it can be very time consuming when doing 6 different sized ads in flash!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I might be missing something here sorry, why don't you just create them straight in HTML5 via Google Web Designer?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That's what I'd prefer to do, but that would leave me without a flash version of the ad, and if what i've heard is true, that would mean my ads would be eligible for a lower number of websites. If that makes sense?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I had actually mistakenly thought the latest announcement was stating that flash ads would actually get replaced by HTML5 upon upload. I now understand what you are getting at George.

Let me have a chat with the others to see if I can get some information for you.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Maxime Test (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi George,

You shouldn't observe a very significant difference between using only HTML5 vs Flash+HTML5. 

The difference should come more from users who still use very old browsers who don't support HTML5 but do support Flash. But again, it represents a small amount of traffic.

HTML5 really is the way to go, that's the format we recommend for building rich media creatives with going forward.

- Maxime

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for jumping in with your insight Maxime.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
George probably needs a Flash version of his ad in order to meet file size specs. Most publishers still have a 40kb limit on standard banners. An HTML5 version of the same banner is typically 100kb or more.