AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I'm getting visits from excluded locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Accordign to Analytics and Geographical info (in the adwords dimensions tab) I am getting clicks from locations I have excluded.

I am receiving clicks from locations over 70 miles from my targeted location, and from locations that are in my excluded locations list.

I thought it may be a discrepancy with the IP address but I have received orders and enquiries on my website through clicks from excluded locations.

How can I stop this from happening, can I receive a refund for the clicks in my excluded locations. This is draining my budget fast and apart from stopping my Ads altogether I am not sure what else I can do?

Please help.

My settings are as follows :

I am targeting a location using radius targeting (50 miles around a certain area)

I have excluded all other locations within my country (I am in the UK)

In the advanced location options I have set this to - Target people in my targeted location and exlude People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location.

Kind Regards

Diane

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hellobear007
September 2015

Re: I'm getting visits from excluded locations

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Once yo target a location, you don't have to exclude the area outside this location. Exclusion is for an area within the targeted area. (E.g you target the USA, and exclude a specific state within the USA; or you target CA and exclude LA county.)

This is unfortunate; but, the telecom system in the UK and in many other European countries is not perfect, and Geo-targeting is not as reliable as in the US;

Here are a few past discussions we have had about Geo-targeting in the UK. Pay particular attention to the answers by our fellow Top Contributor, cobnut, who lives in the UK;

Known Radius Targeting Issue & Location Extensions

Location Targeting or Location Keywords - which is best?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Its so unfortunate. Google can't recognize people who came through proxy so think its better to consult customer support and ask them options.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hellobear007
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Once yo target a location, you don't have to exclude the area outside this location. Exclusion is for an area within the targeted area. (E.g you target the USA, and exclude a specific state within the USA; or you target CA and exclude LA county.)

This is unfortunate; but, the telecom system in the UK and in many other European countries is not perfect, and Geo-targeting is not as reliable as in the US;

Here are a few past discussions we have had about Geo-targeting in the UK. Pay particular attention to the answers by our fellow Top Contributor, cobnut, who lives in the UK;

Known Radius Targeting Issue & Location Extensions

Location Targeting or Location Keywords - which is best?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’