AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I have a question about the AdPreview and Diagnosis tool!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! I must say it is very hard to learn  AdWords when you are not a native english speaking person....

Q1.One thing I really don't understand is if I don't use the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool: are the searches inflating the amount of predicted impressions on the search keywords which may impact my organic search ranking...???  

OR

if I am not using it, my searches that trigger  my add will rack up impressions without clicks, wich can lower my CTR and prevent my ads from appearing as often as it should?????

I have been searching for answer on this, but I can't find it anywhere. 

Q2. Another question that really confuses me, is that I read about (Google Search Network) and the qualityscore and bids.

But if I pay per click......am I also paying for my ad showing on the first page???? 

OR

Do I only pay if my ad shows and then get clicked on????

Q3. If I want to increase the CTR and eliminate irrelevant impressions...

Should I ad more relevant keywords OR should I ad negative keywords?

I am nearly giving up on this now. Have been study for 3-4 weeks, failed one time on the fundamentals, and find it sooo difficult to understand. I don't normally have problems with my studies.

Thanks on forehand if you answer my questions. 

/Helen Andersson, Sweden

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I have a question about the AdPreview and Diagnosis tool!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Helen,

Welcome to the community.

I am not sure entirely sure what you are asking in the first question so I will let someone else help you with that but I can assist with the others:

Q2: If you are using CPC bidding then you will only ever get charged once someone has actually clicked on your ad. You will not get charged for impressions or appearing on the first page, again it's only once someone actually clicks through to your website via your ad.

Q3: Adding negative keywords is going to have more of an immediate and more definite effect on reducing irrelevant impressions (and clicks) and therefore improving CTR. Adding more relevant keywords will not help reduce irrelevant traffic but it can be a contributing factor to improving your overall CTR.

With regards to passing the exams I recommend checking out some of the resources mentioned in this article.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Adding to the exams issue; there have been lately heated discussions on the material ./ syllabus for the exam. Not all exam study resources (in various languages ) have been updated.

In response to a query, Google replied that only the English (US) exam learning center has been fully updated. Other English versions as well as other languages are still in the works.

https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/?hl=en

Study towards the exam using this learning center;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Helen,

I'll try to tackle question number one for you.

"Q1.One thing I really don't understand is if I don't use the Ad Preview & Diagnosis tool: are the searches inflating the amount of predicted impressions on the search keywords which may impact my organic search ranking...???  "

It will have minimal impact on the number of predicted impressions and organic search ranking. At the same time, it will change what you see in the search results. Search result pages, including which ads are shown, are customized for each identifable user. If you don't click on the organic result, sooner or later your site will stop showing up in your searches. If you don't click on your own ad, Google will stop showing you that ad. Basing any decisions on position for organic or paid position is risky as you may not have a true view. Using the Ad Preview tool, the SERP's are not customize for you and you have a better chance of seeing what other users will see.

OR

"if I am not using it, my searches that trigger  my add will rack up impressions without clicks, wich can lower my CTR and prevent my ads from appearing as often as it should?????"

This is true, according to Google. Impressions without clicks will lower your CTR, and your QS accordingly. As QS goes down and the bid stays the same, your position on the page will also go down. Your ad could stop showing altogether. You may need to raise your max CPC bid to keep your ad in the position where you want it. But, in a campaign with thousands of impressions, a few here and there with no clicks will have a minimal impact on your CTR and QS.

The best reason to use the Ad Preview Tool, IMO, is the scewed results you will get in the live search. But, if you're taking the test, the answer will be "lower my CTR and QS".

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords