AdWords
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I feel my opposition are clicking on my google ads,,,how is the best way to monitor the ip address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there software that i can download to find out who is clicking on my google ads

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I feel my opposition are clicking on my google ads,,,how is the best way to monitor the ip addre

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Tony,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

TonyDuce wrote:

Is there software that i can download to find out who is clicking on my google ads

The question you are asking is beyond the boundaries of Google Adwords (i.e. software to track IP address).

Best would be to ask your server guys whom you can contact to get the IPs if you feel like there are some miscreants clicking your Google ads.

I would also add here that repeated click from one IP address might and might not be something which we can describe as Invalid click activity. Google is very strong in reacting to these situations and if they find some unusual activity with your account, they credit back the amount for those clicks. Read more about it in this reference.

You can also request a click investigation by following this article.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Re: I feel my opposition are clicking on my google ads,,,how is the best way to monitor the ip addre

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi TonyDuce, and welcome to the forum.  Can I ask why (or should that be "how"?) you "feel" your opposition are clicking on your ads?

This behaviour - malicious clicking - is really far far less common than the Internet would have you believe and, as Pankaj has already said, Google has some very sophisticated technologies in place to detect invalid clicks, refunding the cost of any they identify.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

(Considering you have Google Analytic - GA). From Google Analytic you can determine the location of the click. If you see too many click from the city and too low conversion check their average time on site which will give you a better understanding of the click to conversion ratio based on Adwords and Analytic. You can then send your queries to google based on the initial test.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I have to say Arnabme, this sort of thinking:  "If you see too many click from the city and too low conversion check their average time on site..." is why so many people believe invalid clicks are commonplace.  The most common reasons for low conversion rate are poor relevance with keywords/Ads/landing pages and/or a website that's not ideal for conversions.  A low time on site does not, in itself, indicate a problem, it may be a problem but only when compared to how long you expect your customers to stay on the site.  When I buy a new Kindle book from Amazon, if I know what I want I can be in and out of their site in less than a minute, yet it's a solid conversion.  

Equally, a concentration of clicks from one city is not in itself an indication of invalid click activity.  It may be that the campaign targeting leads to this situation, or that the product/service offered is more relevant in that city.  Or simply that many clicks appear to come from the city because it appears so due to the nature of ISPs connecting to the Internet.

I'd really like to hear from the original poster about why they feel they're getting invalid clicks before we make any more assumptions that it's happening.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Cobnut I understand that low quality landing pages lead to lower conversion. My suggestion is he was getting better conversion from other areas then why would he get low conversion from one place. The only reason why conversion may be low for one area may be due to low relevancy (offers, distance and similar factors).

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi TonyDuce,

The only way to get that data is to look through your own web logs. You're looking for "hits" with a gclid value in the query string (gclid=). When you see this, it is an AdWords click (if auto-tagging is enabled). Then record the request IP address and time. If you see repeated clicks from the same address within a short period of time, that could be invalid activity.

It is normal to see 2 or 3 clicks from the same visitor, the person could be comparison shopping. And, some big ISP's will use the same address over for a different user. So, multiple clicks from the same IP address over a week period could be normal.

We see quite a few posts of this nature, but very few come back to tell us there has actually been any invalid activity. You can submit evidence of invalid from your web logs to Google for review and request a credit.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You can install a 3rd party tracking that I use called statcounter, it will at least give you their IP info when they go through to your site, it will also tell you location (at least to the ISP), but will also tell you if it's a repeat IP visitor.