AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I don't want my heading to show my URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The second line in the adwords ad has the URL to my site.  I don't want it to also show in the heading.  Is there a way to prevent it being automatically inserted?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I don't want my heading to show my URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can you please show me a snapshot, how you're seeing your ads.?

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Travis W,

I find that this happens a lot more often with ads that have a low display URL character count (The limit is 35).

If you add additional information on the display URL like www.Example.com/TodaysSpecialOffer it makes it quite long and less likely to show beside your headline.

Just look at these 2 and you'll see a big difference.

www.example.com                                 - Only 15 characters

www.example.com/TodaysSpecialOffer    - A whopping 34 characters

If this looks like it could be a suitable solution, give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Travis W,

Welcome to the community.

There is no way to prevent this.It is default format that Google use to show for the Ads (website site url in the second line),on search result result page

For the top ads Google may also add your website's domain to your ad's headline. The domain will be separated from your headline by a visual separator to make it easy for users to see, such as a vertical pipe ("|"), hyphen, or other separator.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

" Is there a way to prevent it being automatically inserted?"

Use the Ad Preview tool , it will show you how your ad looks like when it is displayed on top of the page, if it links the 2 text lines or not. If it looks bad, you can add characters to make it longer.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704363

Best ways to check on your ad

Option 1: Use the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool
See where your ad appears in search results for a particular search query. This is an easy way to check how your ad appears in context, and the tool provides the exact same results as a Google search without accumulating any impressions.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi there;

purefuzz' suggestion is the "nearest" you can get. You cannot opt out;

However; why would you like to do that? Rest assured that Google had run many tests before implementing the change. Google implements changes only after running numerous tests that prove that a given ad format brings better results.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You should - in any case - be taking advantage of the display url's 35 characters. It gives you the option to reinforce the sales message - so you'll kill two birds with one stone if you follow purefuzz's advice!

I don't want my heading to show my URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One reason I can think of wanting to prevent this happening, is if the subdomain being advertised is quite different to the main domain being added to the headline, this is a confusing user experience.