AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

I can`t add negative keywords using Make Multiple Changes option

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to add a list of negative keywords, that I created in Word, using the Make Multiple Changes option. After I paste this list of 99 keywords from the clipboard, I select the option Use selected destinations and select the only campaign we are running. Then, on the scroll menu above the column where I pasted the keywords, I select the Campaign option, and click Process. But then all I can get is the Editor to add only 6 keywords and skip the rest. Every single time I try. Can you help me with this?

Thank you,

Iván

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivan S
September 2015

Re: I can`t add negative keywords using Make Multiple Changes option

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Evan,

On the Scroll Menu you have to Select "Keyword", not "Campaign". Along with that you would also want to specify the match type of those keywords, which you can do in next column. But if you are selecting Campaign from Scroll Menu then how come 6 keywords are getting added?

I would recommend to do this - Create your list of 99 negative keywords in Excel sheet and add the match type as well in next column. Then simply copy the keywords with their match types and then got to; Keywords and Targeting > Select Negative Keywords > Select Use Selected Destinations > Select Campaign or Ad Group level negative keywords (carefully check this option, where exactly do you want to add the negatives, to the whole campaign or selected ad groups within that campaign) > then Paste from Clipboard. After doing that your keywords with match type will be pasted. Then you have to select the Column header Keyword and Criterion Type (by default these would be selected as Not Importing). Then process it. It should work now.

If you are following the steps that I explained above and still not able to add all keywords as negatives then it's possible that you are adding those keywords as negative which you are actually targeting as keywords in your campaign/ad group.

Regarding adding multiple keywords by directly going to the campaign through Adwords interface:
- Go to the campaign
- Go to Keywords Tab
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see "Negative Keywords" in blue with '+' sign.
- Click on it, you will now see two options to add negatives at ad group or campaign level
- Simply click on Add and put all your keywords in one go and Save.

How to do it Through Shared Library:
- You can find Shared Library in the left panel/Tree below your All Online Campaigns
- When you click on that you will see Campaign Negative Keywords option in right window
- Click on View link
- Click on +List button in red
- Name the Negative Keyword list and put all your keywords below it and you are done.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Ashish

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Ivan,

You can add these negative keywords in bulk (one below the other) from the negative keywords section (bottom of the keywords page). Another way is to create a negative keyword list (from shared library) and add them all in a single list, then go to the campaign and add the negative keyword list (bottom of the keywords page) at once.

Feel free to write back, if you're facing difficulties.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry, when you say "add these negative keywords in bulk (one below the other) from the negative keywords section (bottom of the keywords page)", do you mean one by one? Also, I am not familiar with Shared Library, and cannot find the button to upload a list of keywords at the bottom of the keywords page. Thank you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivan S
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Evan,

On the Scroll Menu you have to Select "Keyword", not "Campaign". Along with that you would also want to specify the match type of those keywords, which you can do in next column. But if you are selecting Campaign from Scroll Menu then how come 6 keywords are getting added?

I would recommend to do this - Create your list of 99 negative keywords in Excel sheet and add the match type as well in next column. Then simply copy the keywords with their match types and then got to; Keywords and Targeting > Select Negative Keywords > Select Use Selected Destinations > Select Campaign or Ad Group level negative keywords (carefully check this option, where exactly do you want to add the negatives, to the whole campaign or selected ad groups within that campaign) > then Paste from Clipboard. After doing that your keywords with match type will be pasted. Then you have to select the Column header Keyword and Criterion Type (by default these would be selected as Not Importing). Then process it. It should work now.

If you are following the steps that I explained above and still not able to add all keywords as negatives then it's possible that you are adding those keywords as negative which you are actually targeting as keywords in your campaign/ad group.

Regarding adding multiple keywords by directly going to the campaign through Adwords interface:
- Go to the campaign
- Go to Keywords Tab
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see "Negative Keywords" in blue with '+' sign.
- Click on it, you will now see two options to add negatives at ad group or campaign level
- Simply click on Add and put all your keywords in one go and Save.

How to do it Through Shared Library:
- You can find Shared Library in the left panel/Tree below your All Online Campaigns
- When you click on that you will see Campaign Negative Keywords option in right window
- Click on View link
- Click on +List button in red
- Name the Negative Keyword list and put all your keywords below it and you are done.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Ashish