AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

Hyphenation and periods as KW bids...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

As an example, lets say some keyword bids include the words Ph.d or L-arginine.  How does google treat the use of hypens and periods?  

My current understanding is that google ignores them with broad match.  Does that mean I'm bidding on both 'Ph' and 'd' as two seperate words?  Or 'L' and 'arginine' as two seprate words?

OR

Does google register them as one word, 'Phd' or 'Larginine'

OR

Does google consider me eligible for both combinations?  (I just don't want to be bidding on a single word like "d' or "L"..., or should I just not be worried?)

Another question:  If I bid hypens and periods in phrase or exact, such as "Ph.d" or [Ph.d] or "L-arginine" or [L-arginine], in that case does am I now only eligible for users who search with the periods & hypens?  Or is 'Phd' considered a close variant to 'Ph.d'?   Is [Mass.] eligible for the search query Massachusetts?

I guess I could just wait and get my search report, but firing off the question anyway! 

Thanks,
Clayton

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Hyphenation and periods as KW bids...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello
Clayton F

Google’s system doesn’t recognize commas, periods, hyphens, or non-letter characters when they appear in keywords, the hyphens in your keyword are stripped out of the search terms and treated as spaces.

I would Suggest theat your delete all of yor keywords that contain the hypented version of the kyeowrd. this will prevent the hypenated keyword from being inserted in to your ad text(and avoid the cheesy looking ad copy) also if a user search for "key-word"  on google.com the keyword "key word" will still be matched in the account therefore you wont be missing out on any teaffic by removing the hyphenated version of the keyword

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello
Clayton F

Google’s system doesn’t recognize commas, periods, hyphens, or non-letter characters when they appear in keywords, the hyphens in your keyword are stripped out of the search terms and treated as spaces.

I would Suggest theat your delete all of yor keywords that contain the hypented version of the kyeowrd. this will prevent the hypenated keyword from being inserted in to your ad text(and avoid the cheesy looking ad copy) also if a user search for "key-word"  on google.com the keyword "key word" will still be matched in the account therefore you wont be missing out on any teaffic by removing the hyphenated version of the keyword

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I would add that if you target a big state like Massachusetts, I would target it by Geo-targeting rather by intent. (i.e I would NOT include Massachusetts as a word within a KW)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is difficult to trust the veracity of this answer because of the numerous spelling and grammar mistakes. Could we get this cleaned up a bit? Smiley Happy

Further, I'm not sure why the bias against hyphenated words in ad copy. Some properly spelled words contain hyphens. For example, if an astute speller searches for "free-range chicken" I believe she would prefer to see results containing "free-range" over "free range." (i.e. It makes no sense to me to purposely show ads with misspelled words.)