AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How would you set Adwords for a nationwide Car rental company?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have to set up a new AdWords Account for a nationwide operating Car-rental company, operating in all 40 major cities. How would you set up your acount in terms of

a) searches within major cities (location)

b) searches for keywords with a cityname included (cityname as "keyword")

If s.o. searches for "car rental" IN Boston- He sould get an ad like a)

If s.o. searches for "car rental New York City" but LIFES NOT in New York, he should get like b), right?

This looks like a lot of duplicate work, or? I'm afraid to start wrong and/or create unaccessary redundancy. So how would you set this up? Different Ad Groups? Campaigns? One General with and one Location-based? For every city an own campaign/ad Group with only one city targeted or can I target all major cities and AdWords will "dynamically" places the right Keyword (= City) wiith the person searched for?

Thanks in advance for your reply/link tips!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How would you set Adwords for a nationwide Car rental company?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer,

I would set up one campaign each for the metro areas. When you set the geo-targeting options, be sure to "include search intent". Then set up the AdGroups within the campaigns. You don't need to include the "in Boston" part in your keywords, but you can. That usually ends up with "Low Search Volume", but that doesn't hurt.

I suggest you download AdWords editor if you don't already have it. Set up one campaign for one metro area. You can then copy everything to each campaign and just change the geo-targeting for each campaign. That will save you from the manual duplication of the campaigns.

I would not recommend trying to use DKI for this purpose. DKI inserts the keyword that triggered the impression, not the user's query. In the case of "Low Search Volume", that keyword never triggers your ad.

Separating campaigns by metro area also allows better control of your budgets. Not all metro areas will respond the same. If you put everything in one campaign, one metro area could use your entire budget and the others areas will not be served.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer, adding to Pete's excellent advice, I'd take a different spin...

You must make sure you (or someone else) ensure that you have good conversion tracking in place.  With a big business, and potentially a large budget, you (as the account manager) will need to prove your ROI.  I wouldn't recommend doing anything until you're certain you have the ability to track Adwords conversions in the best possible manner, and will be able to prove the effectiveness of the Adwords campaign, and your own worth as a manager.

Trust me, if they're not asking for it now, they will do at some point.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer,

I would set up one campaign each for the metro areas. When you set the geo-targeting options, be sure to "include search intent". Then set up the AdGroups within the campaigns. You don't need to include the "in Boston" part in your keywords, but you can. That usually ends up with "Low Search Volume", but that doesn't hurt.

I suggest you download AdWords editor if you don't already have it. Set up one campaign for one metro area. You can then copy everything to each campaign and just change the geo-targeting for each campaign. That will save you from the manual duplication of the campaigns.

I would not recommend trying to use DKI for this purpose. DKI inserts the keyword that triggered the impression, not the user's query. In the case of "Low Search Volume", that keyword never triggers your ad.

Separating campaigns by metro area also allows better control of your budgets. Not all metro areas will respond the same. If you put everything in one campaign, one metro area could use your entire budget and the others areas will not be served.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer, adding to Pete's excellent advice, I'd take a different spin...

You must make sure you (or someone else) ensure that you have good conversion tracking in place.  With a big business, and potentially a large budget, you (as the account manager) will need to prove your ROI.  I wouldn't recommend doing anything until you're certain you have the ability to track Adwords conversions in the best possible manner, and will be able to prove the effectiveness of the Adwords campaign, and your own worth as a manager.

Trust me, if they're not asking for it now, they will do at some point.

Jon

Hi!   Thanks! We have great conversion trackings in place...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Thanks! We have great conversion trackings in place! Even syning them between adwords & analytics. How would you suggest to start? Activite goals in the beginning and let google perform?

Hi waschbaer,   In addition to great advices you have alr...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer,

In addition to great advices you have already received, I would like to add about the conversion tracking that if you have already placed it on the thanks pages of your goals, it's really good because that way you will get the real insight on which keywords, which search terms are giving you more conversions on top of others.

Another good thing is that you are using Google Analytics too. I hope you have properly linked your Adwords with Analytics. I would certainly encourage you to create the goals inside Google Analytics and then later import them within your Adwords conversions. A small thing to note here is that it takes time for Adwords to import Goals from Analytics.

So it is better to start with Conversion Tracking and start measuring your results from within Adwords as I wrote above.

But later in order to get the real in depth web analysis, Google Analytics would be more helpful in order to understand the customer flow through your website.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Hi waschbaer, what sort of convesions are you tracking?...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer, what sort of convesions are you tracking?  Does the site allow online bookings (which you can track) or are you looking merely at contact submitted, etc.?

Jon

Hi Cobnut,   it's online booking. Goals are for example:...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

it's online booking. Goals are for example: Registration, Reserviation, Booking, Payment.

I do have one serious problem: I had old goals imported to Adwords. I redesigned all Goals and Goal Groups in Analytics .. but I cant delete the old goals in Adwords anymore in order to import the new (renamed) goals.

Hi waschbaer,   Go to Tools and Analysis/Conversions. Loc...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi waschbaer,

Go to Tools and Analysis/Conversions. Locate the conversion you wish to delete and click in the corresponding check box. Then, at the top, pull down "Change Status" and select "Delete". Right next to "Change Status" is "Import from Analytics".

Best oif Luck!

Pete