AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How will "New Visitors" audience be treated in RLSA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I create an audience in Google Analytics that includes all users w/ user type = "New Visitor", how will this be treated if I use it as an RLSA audience?

My assumption is it would target users who have visited the site only once.

If a user clicks on an add & visits my site for the first time, they will be considered a "New visitor" and be added to the "New Visitor" RLSA audience. If they click on an another ad, they will come to the site and be categorized as a returning user, thus being removed from this audience on their second visit.

Is this correct? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Ben Z

Not necessarily. Depending if you set rules  or limit the duration of the re-marketing list.

The strategic question: is why to remove the user upon the 2nd best. Those users who revisit and research  the site are more likely to convert

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I could see opting them out of the "new Visitor" list on their 2nd visit if you have it set up to give first time returners 1 offer and multiple returners another.  He didn't say he wasn't going to remarket to them...maybe do different bid modifiers to each list.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Kyle Reeves: Ohhh...OK. 

@Ben Z:  can you you elaborate on the strategy?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Kyle hit the nail on the head. I'm trying to do different segmentation depending on the user's visit count.

In doing a "Count of sessions" analyis in GA, I found that the conversion rate is about double for users on their 2nd session vs. users on their 1st session, and that users on their 3rd session convert about 50% higher than users on their 2nd session. 

So ideally I would like to build segments that look like:

Audience 1: Users who have visited once

Audience 2: Users who have visited twice

Audience 3: Users who have visited three times

Audience 4: Users who have visited 4+ times

I figure that for Audience 1 I can use:

Include users with User Type "New Visitor"

And for Audience 2 I can use:

Include users with User Type "Returning Visitor" 

AND Exclude users with count of sessions < 3

But I don't know if there's a way to make audiences 3 & 4 ... or if there's a simpler way to make audiences 1 and 2