AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How will my video ads appear on YouTube or the Display Network?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Often, when you create an AdWords for Video campaign you can be left wondering what you your ads will look like, and how users can engage with them. El, our video expert explains what you can expect from the different types of video ads!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hannah
September 2015

Re: How will my video ads appear on YouTube or the Display Network?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

When you create an AdWords for Video campaign you are creating TrueView video ads. TrueView is a family of video ad formats. There are three TrueView ad formats:

1. TrueView in-stream

2. TrueView in-search

3. TrueView in-display

TrueView in-stream is often referred to as "skippables" as they have a skip button. TrueView in-search and TrueView in-display are sometimes referred to as "promoted videos".

One important thing to be familiar with are the networks that your ads will show on. TrueView in-display ads are eligible to serve on the Google Display Network in a number of different ad slots and represents the greatest opportunity.  TrueView in-stream can also serve to Google Display Network publishers.

TrueView in-search ads run only in search results on YouTube and within Google Video search results (US only). On mobile, TrueView in-search ads appear only on m.youtube.com search results.

In case you need a bit more detail about the three different ad formats, please keep reading!

TrueView in-stream - use this format when you have video content you'd like to promote before videos on YouTube and the Google Display Network.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.18 PM.png

True View In-Stream videos can appear on YouTube Videos and on video publisher pages in the Google Display Network. After five seconds, the viewer has an option to skip the ad. For videos 30 seconds or longer, you'll be charged when the viewer reaches the 30 second point of the video. For videos shorter than 30 seconds, you'll be charged when the viewer completes the video.

TrueView in-search - previously known as the search ads portion of "YouTube Promoted Videos," this format lets you promote a video next to search results on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.23 PM.png

Your video's keywords will highlight your video to YouTube viewers who may be interested in your content. This format will include a 640x90 Rectangle or 300x70 Small Rectangle depending on the ad's position in search results. TrueView in-search videos appear on the YouTube Search results page. You'll only be charged when viewers begin watching your video.

TrueView in-display - use this format to promote a video next to YouTube videos or other website content across the Google Display Network.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.30 PM.png

The video ad preview unit may vary in size. You can choose whether the video plays within the ad unit or when a viewer clicks the unit to watch the video on its YouTube Watch page. The appearance of the ad format will vary, depending on which ad sizes and display formats content publishers support. For example, YouTube is a key content publisher within the network and these ads will function and appear in the same way across the entire YouTube site. You'll only be charged when viewers choose to watch your ad.

This format includes the following legacy formats: YouTube Promoted Videos overlay, promoted videos suggestions and related videos, and the Google Click-to-Play format.

Check another one of my other discussions here for more information about how you are charged for video ads.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hannah
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

When you create an AdWords for Video campaign you are creating TrueView video ads. TrueView is a family of video ad formats. There are three TrueView ad formats:

1. TrueView in-stream

2. TrueView in-search

3. TrueView in-display

TrueView in-stream is often referred to as "skippables" as they have a skip button. TrueView in-search and TrueView in-display are sometimes referred to as "promoted videos".

One important thing to be familiar with are the networks that your ads will show on. TrueView in-display ads are eligible to serve on the Google Display Network in a number of different ad slots and represents the greatest opportunity.  TrueView in-stream can also serve to Google Display Network publishers.

TrueView in-search ads run only in search results on YouTube and within Google Video search results (US only). On mobile, TrueView in-search ads appear only on m.youtube.com search results.

In case you need a bit more detail about the three different ad formats, please keep reading!

TrueView in-stream - use this format when you have video content you'd like to promote before videos on YouTube and the Google Display Network.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.18 PM.png

True View In-Stream videos can appear on YouTube Videos and on video publisher pages in the Google Display Network. After five seconds, the viewer has an option to skip the ad. For videos 30 seconds or longer, you'll be charged when the viewer reaches the 30 second point of the video. For videos shorter than 30 seconds, you'll be charged when the viewer completes the video.

TrueView in-search - previously known as the search ads portion of "YouTube Promoted Videos," this format lets you promote a video next to search results on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.23 PM.png

Your video's keywords will highlight your video to YouTube viewers who may be interested in your content. This format will include a 640x90 Rectangle or 300x70 Small Rectangle depending on the ad's position in search results. TrueView in-search videos appear on the YouTube Search results page. You'll only be charged when viewers begin watching your video.

TrueView in-display - use this format to promote a video next to YouTube videos or other website content across the Google Display Network.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 3.28.30 PM.png

The video ad preview unit may vary in size. You can choose whether the video plays within the ad unit or when a viewer clicks the unit to watch the video on its YouTube Watch page. The appearance of the ad format will vary, depending on which ad sizes and display formats content publishers support. For example, YouTube is a key content publisher within the network and these ads will function and appear in the same way across the entire YouTube site. You'll only be charged when viewers choose to watch your ad.

This format includes the following legacy formats: YouTube Promoted Videos overlay, promoted videos suggestions and related videos, and the Google Click-to-Play format.

Check another one of my other discussions here for more information about how you are charged for video ads.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi El!

I wonder if it is possible to combine in-stream ads with YouTube search?
For example, if a user searches for "ice cream" on YouTube and clicks on a organic video link the YouTube serp, is it possible to show that user a in-stream ad based on that search query solely (not another targeting option such as remarketing, audience, contextual matching)??

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David_Precisera!

Wow - what an interesting idea! I think this would be a smart way to target in-stream ads, but currently there isn't any way of doing this. In-stream ads can currently only be targeted using the Display Network style targets (Placements, Topics, Interests, Demographics etc.)

El

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Cheers El!

How about CPC. I guess it´s still only CPV pricing for videos, and we can´t expect any change in that respect?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi El, is there any information on the location of the skip button. I know it's on the bottom right of videos, but I'm looking for the specific location. I'm trying to create an ad that actually incorporates the skip button, so it's important to know exactly where it is. Or to have a template. Thanks!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Gregory!

That's definitely an interesting approach for your new video ads! Unfortunately I think it's going to be a tricky one to pull off, because there isn't a standard template for this at the moment.

The reason is because the Skip button varies in size quite a bit. The first thing I tried for you was to compare an ad on my phone versus one on my desktop, and if you do the same you'll immediately notice the difference in size. Placement is roughly the same, but because of the different screen sizes, we are adjusting the button size appropriately.

We'd usually want to keep mobile targeted, as it's a really key benefit of advertising on YouTube, but let's say that you chose to exclude it for the purposes of this particular ad. Unfortunately we're still out of luck, because the button size (as a proportion to the video) changes for the different player settings on YouTube. On desktop, you can switch between a small and large player, and you'll see that when you do, the Skip button stays the same size, but it's proportion on the video changes as a result.

Therefore Gregory, at least today, we don't have a given specification for this, and it's not going to be possible to accurately incorporate the Skip button into the ad.

El