AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to you setup remarketing to show different ads each time? (GDN)

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

We've read a few articles on this but can't find specific instructions sorry. 

We have a remarketing ad group containing three ads and would like to rotate through the ads twice each and cap the frequency at 6.

Does anyone have specific instructions on how to set this up? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
March 2016

Re: How to you setup remarketing to show different ads each time? (GDN)

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Aha, got it now! I didn't realize this was the feature you meant. For this, you would need to:

1. Go to the Settings tab in your Remarketing campaign
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and expand "Ad Delivery"

3. Click "Edit" next to "Frequency Capping"

4. Use the dropdown menus to set the cap you mentioned--you should be able to set it to "2 impressions per day per ad," and that would give you the potential to show each ad twice, resulting in up to 6 total impressions per person for that ad group as a whole.

Does that make sense? If not, or if it doesn't answer your question, just let me know.

Cassie

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@CMSCSS

I don't think setting it to rotate evenly would ensure the exact exposure you are wanting.  The solution that comes to my mind is setting each ad in its own ad group, and then setting frequency control on the ad group level to two.  Keep in mind that there is the potential for multiple ads to be served to the same user in the same page view on some sites.

I'd hold tight before implementing that, as someone may come along with a better solution than mine.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks David,

We've been reading articles (two are listed under 'Suggested Topics' on the right) which state we can serve Ad1, then Ad 2, then Ad 3, then cap the frequency overall.

But none of the articles actually explain how to set this up in Adwords - they just suggest it's a useful strategy.

Maybe it's complicated to setup.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi there,

Could you link to one or two of the articles? That might help us see if (or how) it's possible, depending on the source.

Thanks!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cassie...

See '7. Ad rotation' here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Getting-Creative-with-Remarketing/ba-p/506216

See 'Frequency Capping' & 'Creative Remarketing Ads' here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/How-to-Diversify-Your-Remarketing-Ads/ba-p/97358

Also, we've been seeing stuff on this for a few years so thought it was a fairly standard way of doing things?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
March 2016

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Aha, got it now! I didn't realize this was the feature you meant. For this, you would need to:

1. Go to the Settings tab in your Remarketing campaign
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and expand "Ad Delivery"

3. Click "Edit" next to "Frequency Capping"

4. Use the dropdown menus to set the cap you mentioned--you should be able to set it to "2 impressions per day per ad," and that would give you the potential to show each ad twice, resulting in up to 6 total impressions per person for that ad group as a whole.

Does that make sense? If not, or if it doesn't answer your question, just let me know.

Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cassie, that explains the frequency caping but we're more concerned with ensuring the same ad isn't shown - how do we define which ad is seen first, which is seen second etc.

Does that make sense? Or are we misunderstanding something here?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Makes sense, but you will not be able to determine the order in which the ads are shown. Any ad could be shown first, second, or third, for example. But if you set this cap to "1 impressions per day per ad," that will ensure that each ad is only shown once per day (or per week, or whatever you set that first dropdown to. Does that work for your purposes?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cassie, so that's 1 impression per day per person right?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager

Yes, exactly. 1 impression per day per ad will allow for one impression per person per day per ad in that campaign.