AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to use only days in ad countdown data - not hours!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've set up an ad customiser file which contains a list of dates for 'intro talks' for a client I work on.

Since it wouldn't make much sense for an ad to show 'Next Talk in 30 minutes' for example, is there a way that when the deadline is less than one day, the customiser can say 'today', or alternatively, move on to the next date in the list and show the countdown for that next item?

e.g. list of dates/times below:

2016/08/20 12:00:00

2016/08/23 12:00:00

2016/08/27 19:00:00

If someone searches on 2016/08/20 at 11:37:00, can they see the countdown for the talk on the 23rd, rather than seeing 'in 23 minutes'?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,

Jamie

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to use only days in ad countdown data - not hours!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jamie C as far as I'm aware, the only way you'd be able to do that would be through a Script.  I'd probably use a combination of different physical Ads, one using a countdown referencing a data feed (where you'd list your talk dates) and the other using either static text ("Next Talk Is Tomorrow!"), and/or also referencing the data feed ("Next Talk is on the 23rd") and using ad params.

So... if the next talk was on the 23rd August (today is the 19th), right now you'd be seeing a countdown (which now would be showing days).  At midnight on the 22nd, the script would pause this Ad and enable one that said "Tomorrow" (using ad param insertion), at some point on the 23rd the script would change this text to read the date of the next talk and then at some point after the talk finished, it would pause this Ad and re-enable the original one (which would now be counting down to the next talk) and so on.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Jon, that sounds like an interesting solution.

I don't have any scripting knowledge myself, but I can throw this out to our developers to see if it's something they can create (unless a kindly forum member here would like to have a go!)

Jamie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Jamie C I'll see if I can knock something together, but I can't promise anything so if you've got developers on call, I'd hit them with it as your main route...

To be honest, if you can get them on board, Scripts are the sort of thing that you'll find countless uses for once you know what they can do, so getting your developers up to speed is a good idea in any case.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits