AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Is there a way to upload affinity categories to the Adwords editor in a similar way like interests/topics, using the verticals csv as described here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/1052569?hl=en

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alex,

Could you expand on your question a little more? So that I make sure I fully understand. The link that you provided is the way to upload affinity groups into the AdWords editor using a csv.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi shanea

The link i provided shows how i can upload regular interests. The csv file that the link sends you to contains only regular intrest/topics categories which you can upload using the format

interest:<id>
or
topic:<id>

it does not contain any affinity categories. For example you will not be able to find in google's verticals csv the affinity category "aspiring chefs".

I'm looking for something like:
affinity:<id>

which you can upload to the editor using a csv file in a similar way to interests and topics.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Got it. Try this. 

Firstly, have your upgraded to the latest version 10.3.2? I don't believe that you can upload affinity groups that way currently. But you can follow the steps to assign multiple audiences at once. Then when you assign audiences to ad groups, a new set of interest categories is available under "Affinity categories (reach)". 

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Affinity category is just a kind of user interest. You can add them manually with Assign Audience button on Audiences tab, or import them into Editor by name, or with interest:<id> syntax (in your example of "Aspiring Chefs", the ID is 90802). You do need a 10.3 or later release of Editor.

One problem is that they aren't listed at

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/verticals

which is what Editor documentation refers to as the source of interest IDs. This is probably an oversight; I'll bring it to the attention of relevant parties.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Igor,

Is there a CSV anywhere with affinity categories ids?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
None that I know of. Hopefully, one will be published at some future date. I have notified people who can make it happen, but can't give any ETA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
there's still no published list that I can see... 9 months later! Kinda hard to use the feature with no documentation Smiley Wink

How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆