AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Is there a way to upload affinity categories to the Adwords editor in a similar way like interests/topics, using the verticals csv as described here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/1052569?hl=en

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alex,

Could you expand on your question a little more? So that I make sure I fully understand. The link that you provided is the way to upload affinity groups into the AdWords editor using a csv.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi shanea

The link i provided shows how i can upload regular interests. The csv file that the link sends you to contains only regular intrest/topics categories which you can upload using the format

interest:<id>
or
topic:<id>

it does not contain any affinity categories. For example you will not be able to find in google's verticals csv the affinity category "aspiring chefs".

I'm looking for something like:
affinity:<id>

which you can upload to the editor using a csv file in a similar way to interests and topics.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Got it. Try this. 

Firstly, have your upgraded to the latest version 10.3.2? I don't believe that you can upload affinity groups that way currently. But you can follow the steps to assign multiple audiences at once. Then when you assign audiences to ad groups, a new set of interest categories is available under "Affinity categories (reach)". 

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Affinity category is just a kind of user interest. You can add them manually with Assign Audience button on Audiences tab, or import them into Editor by name, or with interest:<id> syntax (in your example of "Aspiring Chefs", the ID is 90802). You do need a 10.3 or later release of Editor.

One problem is that they aren't listed at

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/verticals

which is what Editor documentation refers to as the source of interest IDs. This is probably an oversight; I'll bring it to the attention of relevant parties.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Igor,

Is there a CSV anywhere with affinity categories ids?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
None that I know of. Hopefully, one will be published at some future date. I have notified people who can make it happen, but can't give any ETA.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
there's still no published list that I can see... 9 months later! Kinda hard to use the feature with no documentation Smiley Wink

How to upload affinity categories to the adwords editor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆