AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to unify display URLs in Adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone.

I'm working with a very big account with many customised adgroups. Every time I include new ads in bulk to the existing adgroups I have to make sure that they have the correct Display URL which is different in every Adgroup (for QS reasons). If I forget this or the upload goes wrong I can easily end up with a few hundred disapproved ads across all my campaigns.

To fix this I'd have to go into every Adgroup and adjust the Display URL to fit with the existing Ads.

So do you guys know a way to make all Display URLs the same within one adgroup automatically? Maybe an easy way with the Editor or Excel or maybe you have an  Adwords Script that can change the Display URL of a disapproved ad to the one of an approved ad in the same Adgroup.

Would help me a lot and save a lot of time.

Thanks,

Steve

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve H
September 2015

Re: How to unify display URLs in Adgroup

Top Contributor
# 16
Top Contributor

Hi Steve, got it, don't know why I didn't spot this earlier.  Please change the line that currently reads:

if(!adOK && validDisp != "") { // will set ALL non-Approved Ads to new Display URL, including UNCHECKED

to 

if(approvalStatus == "DISAPPROVED" && validDisp != "") {

The problem was the adOK variable - when writing this bit of the code I thought adOK was evaluated for each Ad, but realised on looking at the whole script again just now that it's only evaluated until it finds an Approved one, then remains at its set value until the Group iterates.  Scary, not spotting that as a pro, even more scary when you realise I wrote the whole darn thing!

This line also removes the comment, since this is no longer true.

Run this as a Preview and I think it'll work...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Steve,

I am assuming that you are already using the editor. If that is the case, It should be possible with scripts to check and then edit your display URL's.

Just off the top of my head, the script should pull the ads in each ad group, check if they are disapproved, if not then move on, if they are then pull another ad in the ad group and change the display URL of the disapproved ad to the Display URL of an ad that is not disapproved in the same ad group.

I would personally use this script only when I need it to run, so do not set up a regular run time but rather run it manually after an upload.

There may be other, easier ways of doing. Perhaps creating an excel sheet (google doc) with all valid Display URL tied to each ad group that the script then checks to ensure each ad has the same display URL according to the sheet.

Just some ideas that come to mind, but it does seem viable, and an avenue worth looking into if this is a serious problem.

Good Luck

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Steve, how are you creating these Ads at the moment?  Using the Editor or some other method?

Setting a field in an Ad to be the same across all Ads is easy in the Editor.  All you have to do is open the Ads tab, select all the Ads (CTRL + A) then down the bottom of the screen you'll see the fields "combined".  Most will say <varies> because the lines will be different across multiple Ads but if you want the Display URL to be the same for all, simply write it into the Display URL line while all the Ads are selected and Hey Presto! all the Ads now have the same Display URL.

If the Ads are already uploaded and you want to check them, then Scripts would be your best bet.  It would be relatively simple to iterate through all the Ads in a Group and check their Display URL property against what you want it to be and then set it or leave it alone as necessary.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,
thanks for the replies.
Yes I'm using the editor. With about 1.000 adgroups per account I have to. Unfortunately every Adgroup's Display URL is different to be relevant with the respective Keywords and I want them to stay that way so I can't just change all Ads into one Display URL so this is not a solution. This way basically means going through all Adgroups manually and this takes a lot of time even with the Editor or in Excel.
I guess Scripts should be the nearest solution and what Clynton says sounds pretty good but I don't have much experience with creating a script so can you help me out there?
Thanks,
Steve

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Pro tip: next time you do Add Multiple or Import CSV in Editor, leave Display URL column blank (or omit it entirely). Editor will try to guess the URL automatically. Specifically, it looks at existing ads in the same ad group - if they all have the same display URL, that URL will also be used for the new ad.

The same trick works for destination URL.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
That's a great tip Igor, thanks.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes, thanks for the advice - will do this next time.

Anyone out there who can help with the initial issue, though?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Steve, give me a day or so and I'll put together the bones of the Script you'll need.  Poke me via my profile if you don't hear back by the weekend.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
that would be great. Thanks, Jon
Steve

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

I took a look at this today and realised I need more information.  Do you have any "link" between your Group names and their associated Display URL?  For example, is part of the Group name also part of the Display URL? e.g.  

Group Name: grp_Fridges, Display URL: example.com/Fridges

What I'm thinking for the script is that it'll need to iterate through your Campaigns and Ad Groups, check the Display URL of the Ads and then compare those Display URLs to what you want them to be.  The "what you want them to be" is the kicker.  We need a way to know what the desired Display URL is for each Ad Group.

Reading your original post, one method could be to retrieve the Display URL of the oldest, Approved Ad in the Group, then use this as the desired URL.  Do you think that will work?

Jon