AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to tell if Account Wide Tracking Template is working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have setup an account wide tracking template as follows:

{lpurl}?clickref=gad&clickref2={network}

As you can see there is one valuetrack parameter, namely {network}, and one of my own parameters (gad).

So this should apply to every campaign I run.  I have no other tracking templates setup on campaign/ad levels.

My issue is that on my site I am running Google-analytic experiments, and also events and goals, so Google is already appending lots of extra URL parameters.

My question is how can I see that my account level tracking above is actually working or not?  When I check landing pages from adwords in Google-analytics, I cannot yet see any extra parameters of clickref=gad or clickref2={network}

Many thanks

Jamie

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie S
September 2016

Re: How to tell if Account Wide Tracking Template is working

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jamie S

When someone clicks ad in your case, they will go 'Click URL'. 

Let me try clarifying your doubt.  Before the launch of upgraded URL, it was just Destination URL. Your destination URL included both tracking and your actual landing page URL. But when upgraded URLs came in, destination URL was separated into Final URL and Tracking Template.

It means, 'Final URL' is not the URL that shows up in users' browser address bar. It's the Click URL that shows up in users' address bar.

It's important to note that if someone is not using any Tracking Template, there's no difference between Final URL and Click URL for them.

To sum up -

Before Upgraded URL, it was just destination URL that included landing page url + tracking, if any

After Upgraded URL, destination URL was separated into Final URL + Tracking Template.

Final URL + Tracking Template = Click URL

Final URL + No Tracking = Final URL or Click URL, they would be the same 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jamie S

First, you can try the 'test' functionaltiy right where you edit your account wide tracking template to see a few URL's being tested.

urltest.png

You can also test ads individually from the edit screen.

urltest2.png

Either one of these test results can give you further details of what is being appended to your URLs - be sure to check the little speech bubbles.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @PPCBossman

Many thanks for your help here.

So from the 'Test' button on the speech bubbles that appear, the final URL has dropped the extra URL parameters, which is really strange.

To clarify, my tracking template is:

{lpurl}?clickref=gad&clickref2={network}

Assuming my {lpurl}=http://www.example.com and the {network}=g, I would expect my "Final URL" to be:

http://www.example.com?clickref=gad&clickref2=g

However, adwords is telling me my final URL is simply:

http://www.example.com

Why is this? That is incorrect right?

Rather strangely, the speech bubble is telling me the 'Click URL' is:

http://www.example.com?clickref=gad&clickref2=g

Which is what I expected the 'Final URL' to be

So there appears to be a difference between 'click URL' and 'final URL' which seems incorrect?

Thank you for any help you can give, very much appreciated!
Jamie

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Jaime,

Yes you are right here, there is some difference between 'Click URL' & "Final URL".

Thes best way to check if your tracking template has trickled down to all levels is just click on our ads in the interface and let the URL open in a new window/tab and then check the URL.

To clarify the difference between the two types of URL's, Final URL is supposed to tell you the URL that is your LP. If you have ever used a spreadsheet/excel to upload ads, your Final URL & Tracking Templates are declared in two different columns. This is the same logic applied here, Final URL will show you just the URL not including the tracking template.

Click URL will tell you the complete URL that is going to open when a user clicks on your ad.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shashank,

Thanks for your reply - unfortunately I am still a little bit unsure why Google differentiate Click and Final URL!

So to clarify, if a user clicks my ad will they go to Click URL or Final URL?

Thanks,
Jamie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie S
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Jamie S

When someone clicks ad in your case, they will go 'Click URL'. 

Let me try clarifying your doubt.  Before the launch of upgraded URL, it was just Destination URL. Your destination URL included both tracking and your actual landing page URL. But when upgraded URLs came in, destination URL was separated into Final URL and Tracking Template.

It means, 'Final URL' is not the URL that shows up in users' browser address bar. It's the Click URL that shows up in users' address bar.

It's important to note that if someone is not using any Tracking Template, there's no difference between Final URL and Click URL for them.

To sum up -

Before Upgraded URL, it was just destination URL that included landing page url + tracking, if any

After Upgraded URL, destination URL was separated into Final URL + Tracking Template.

Final URL + Tracking Template = Click URL

Final URL + No Tracking = Final URL or Click URL, they would be the same 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hey Jaime,

Like Ratan mentioned, the user who clicks on your ads will be taken to the "Click URL" .

To reiterate, the Click URL contains your LP URL + Tracking Template.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"