AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to target competitors customers or visitors efficiently ?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I want to target my competitors customer/visitors like if someone searches for the competitor with their brand name my ad should appear so that my business could also find to their customers or people who are searching for my competitor brand. But, my main concern is if i do like this i get more invalid clicks from my competitors like many of the times the competitor will search or work on his website while searching if he finds my ad he will most probably click on my ads there is also chances that he will click any number of times. My questions are..

1.Can i target competitors with their brand name as keywords ?

2.How can i avoid invalid clicks from that brand/company? Is there any way that i can find/block those invalid clicks?

3.If i want to exclude the particular location of the region where that brand/company is located can i stop the invalid clicks from that company members ? If so can guide me how to efficiently exclude them ?

Or can i identify the IP's of those brand/company members and excludes the clicks from those IPs?

Thanks and Regards

John Paul

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to target competitors customers or visitors efficiently ?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John Paul sing,
Similar question asked earlier and here is the reply from Kathleen G(Community Manager)

'Keywords that are trademarked terms, will not be eligible to be used as part of Keyword Insertion. The system will know not to insert these terms, as it will then be in violation of the Trademark Policy "

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
hi,
Thank you for quick reply. Then is there any way that we can target the competitors through ads ? How can i target the competitors customers or those who are searching for my competitor brand ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

Bidding for your competitors brand names can put your in trouble because its against Google Policy. You should not use your competitors brand name within your ads.

Read this post http://www.periscopix.co.uk/blog/should-you-bid-on-your-competitors-brand-terms/

Thanks,
Nouman

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Yes I saw in my adwords account several times that ad triggered when users search keywords with competitors name,this happens for selecting broad match keywords in ad group.
e.g web design xyz(competitors name).
If there is some other way to do that I hope top community member will reply.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
hi, nouman
Thanks for your reply. I was not saying that i will put competitors brand name in my ad or in ad desc. i mean that i want to target the keywords for competitors like if someone search for "xyz + keyword" my ad should trigger.
I think what santosh had said works, but can we improve in targeting audience of a particular competitor ?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi John Paul,

According to the Trademark Policy: 

For ad campaigns targeting the European Union and EFTA regions, the ad text policy above applies.  Therefore, we do not prevent the selection of trademarks as keywords in the EU and EFTA. However, in response to a complaint, we will do a limited investigation as to whether a keyword (in combination with particular ad text) is confusing as to the origin of the advertised goods and services.

The Trademark Policy can be found here: http://goo.gl/PhWFgm. 

However, using competitor brand terms as keywords in your account may result in a low CTR or low ROI for those keywords. The reason for this is that when someone is searching for a specific brand or company name, they usually know exactly what they are looking for and what website they want to go to.  Something to keep in mind! 

How to target competitors customers or visitors efficiently ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello There,

As we know that we can not get rank on our competitor's branding, but what we can do is we can analyze our competitor's website and get their best ranking keywords apart from branding, and we can use those keywords in for our web. If you are running ad through adwords on those keywords, then make sure your landing page and quality score is perfect.

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Goswami