AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to target ONLY Maps advertising in Google AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm curious if its possible to target only on Maps advertising (Local search ads) without targeting Google Search-pages.

I've tried to use targeting through locationtargeting (as suggested through AdWords-helppages) and a display network-campagn with just one placement (maps.google.com).

Both methods don't "just" target Maps. The first activates Google Search-pages and the second method doesn't activates ads.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Leon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Maps advertising in Google AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Leon K,

To gain the most success with this, please utilize this information. It will provide concise help in achieving your goal. 

Please let us know how things go.

Kind Regards,

James

Maps advertising in Google AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @James_Clemens,

Thanks for your quick response! Much appreciated. It's my first post around here, so it is nice to know people are really reading and answering questions Smiley Happy.

I've read your suggested information and i am familiar with the settings for Google Maps Advertising. I've got a few accounts where it's up and running. But at the office we had an interesting discussion IF it is possible to only target the maps network and exclude the google search network. Which could be very interesting for small/local business owners with smaller budgets or very local -maps oriented- search queries.

My first (and still) assumption is, that it isn't possible. Just because Maps Advertising (and local targeting in AdWords) is part of the Google search network. Possible solution: Only setup a campaign (with keywords and location targeting) and no ads?

Therefore i'm curious with your experiences on this. 

Again thank you for your collaboration!

Greetings,

Leon

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Leon K
December 2016

Re: Maps advertising in Google AdWords

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Leon K,

You are very welcome. There is a dynamic team of professionals here in the community that does read all posts. We also try to answer each one as quickly as possible... and with credible information, too.

You are correct is thinking it cannot be done (at this time). Google Maps was only recently added to the mix, so we can expect changes to come before long. You cannot only target Google Maps and you cannot run a campaign without ads since the system would simply alert you that you have an active campaign with no ads. Everything with AdWords is hinged on the ad copy.

Using the information in the first link I supplied, it suggests to target customers nearby with location extensions. This is where you would want to dig in, in my opinion.

Thanks for visiting the AdWords community. I will think further on this and reply back if I find another option. 

All the Best,

James