AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to structure multiple ads in multiple markets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a web design business. I want to create ads for each type of small business: janitorial services, plumbers, garage door repair, etc. each going to a page devoted to the business type. But I also want to post each "bundle" in dozens of cities across the US.

My problem is how to structure this. Instinctively I suspect I should create a campaign for Janitorial (and another for plumbers etc) and subscribe to all the cities I want at campaign level (which I believe is the only place to do it).  At the ad group would I just use one ad for each small business type?

And how about keyword bidding? If I am signed up for many cities, each one will have a different price for front page placement. For example, "plumber website design" in Chicago will be more expensive than in Baton Rouge. I'm not clear how this works.  

Any thanks would be greatly appreciated. None of the tutorials I looked at seemed to give me the answers I need.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to structure multiple ads in multiple markets

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Doug,
Yes, I'd recommend that you run a separate campaign for each service type. You can then adjust your bids using the new enhanced campaigns bid adjustments feature to bid differently for each location/city. http://www.google.ie/adwords/enhancedcampaigns/features/

So your initial instinct was correct Smiley Happy

Re: How to structure multiple ads in multiple markets

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

You can certainly create one campaign geotargeted to different cities across the country. 

If you want, you can also create a separate campaign for each different business type. I would suggest, though, that you're not likely to find as much difference in searches as you seem to think. In my experience, a small business looking for a website designer is much less likely to search for a designer experienced in designing "plumbing" websites than they are in the more generic "small business" or "inexpensive" or similar searches.

It would certainly be worth trying the industry-specific keywords. You could have individual Ad Groups with industry-specific keywords in an Industry campaign, keeping the more generic keywords in a separate campaign. That would allow you to take advantage of what industry-specific searches exist while not missing out on the higher traffic searches.

You said:

At the ad group would I just use one ad for each small business type?

I would rarely recommend having an Ad Group with only one ad. Certainly in the beginning you need to be testing two or three ad variations per Ad Group, until you find the messaging that works best for you. (After that, well, the ad that performed well last year or six months ago might not perform well today--you should always monitor ad performance and be testing new variations to improve performance.)

As to your second point about bidding, you are correct that click costs can differ around the country. These variations are handled automatically by the AdWords program. It is designed so that the ads that win each ad auction "win" at the lowest competitive cost. For more control, you can try bid adjustments - read the info at Setting bid adjustments to understand those. (Warning that these can rapidly become very complicated to keep track of.)

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if any of this isn't clear!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*