AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to structure a campaign with hundreds of products

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up a campaign advertising nearly 1000 car makes and models. Ideally every keyword would have a unique ad that links to the specific product page for each car. Though creating nearly 1000 ads and ad groups is not really an option.

I am therefore thinking about using keyword level destination URLs and dynamic search ads (I can upload an excel list of keywords with their unique urls). I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether this sounds like a good strategy and if anyone can suggest something better.

Thanks,
Dani

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Dynamic search ads are a good option for this. Personally, I would start out with dynamic ads then slowly build out my own campaigns. I manage thousands of products and have migrated away from dynamic search ads (mostly) after I built out my own campaigns. Once I built out my campaigns, I added the keywords from those to the negative keyword list of my dynamic campaign so it can capture traffic that I don't have keywords for. Then I later add converting keywords from the dynamic campaign to my other campaigns. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @dani h

There are two answers that almost always apply, "it depends" and "test it".

I rarely rule anything out unless I test. You can test the DSAs, but I wouldn't totally rule out creating your groups/ads. Keywords, groups, and ads can all be templated in a spreadsheet initially to create your keywords and ads. I can crank out 10,000+ unique ads in a few hours. Assigning them to the ad groups is a bit more of a PITA, but my ad groups are always tightly themed and I'm very meticulous on which ad goes where. If the only things changing are the make/model, you can probably do it "relatively quickly" with some Excel magic.

I haven't run DSAs in a while, but when I had success was when I used them along with regular campaigns. In other words, the DSA was used to capture impressions from keywords I didn't already have covered. You really want to have a robust set of negatives to start with and mine the search term report often.

Also, you don't use keywords with DSAs, therefore no keyword level destination urls (unless I was confused on what you meant). Google will determine based on your site content which search queries will trigger your ad, your ad's headline, and your ad's landing page. It crosses the line between PPC and SEO, so your landing pages should have SEO components in good, clear working order.

Best of luck.

David

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Dani,

All new AdWords campaigns take time and money to find out which keywords and ads are profitable. The more keywords you have, the longer and more expensive it will be to find out which make you money.

I recommend starting with those that have sufficient search volume, but not the most popular - they'll most likely have more competition = cost more per click.

5 or 10 ad groups will suffice. Work out which ad copy does best, discover all the negative keywords you will need, find out which days and hours convert best, and of course find out if AdWords can be profitable for you.

After all that, expand your account with what you have learned.