AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop spending in 2 campaigns which share a budget

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Let's say I have 2 campaigns which share a budget. I have tripled that budget to get rid of the notification "Limited by budget" , but I still want to stop those campaigns from spending more than the initial daily budget.

Can an automated rule be configured to do this ?

I have experienced only checking the variable Cost against a series of Campaigns, but the rule stops only the campaigns which have a spent over the limit, it does not calculate a total spent from all campaigns selected.

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: How to stop spending in 2 campaigns which share a budget

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

First and most importantly, I would not recommend changing your budget just to get rid of the "limited" message. The message is purely informational and if you don't want to spend more than X amount, you should just ignore it.  If it were me, I would use the dollar figure I actually wanted to spend each day instead of relying on a rule to stop ad serving.

Second, you can set automated rules to shut off ad serving, by campaign, at a certain dollar figure each day. Although it won't be 100% accurate, it will shut down ad serving before your rule limit is overrun by much. However, because you have your budget limit set so much higher than what you want to spend, this may result in your ads showing a lot in the early morning and/or afternoon hours, then being offline the rest of the day. (Setting your daily spending cap to a more realistic account will give your ads a chance to serve traffic later in the day.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

First and most importantly, I would not recommend changing your budget just to get rid of the "limited" message. The message is purely informational and if you don't want to spend more than X amount, you should just ignore it.  If it were me, I would use the dollar figure I actually wanted to spend each day instead of relying on a rule to stop ad serving.

Second, you can set automated rules to shut off ad serving, by campaign, at a certain dollar figure each day. Although it won't be 100% accurate, it will shut down ad serving before your rule limit is overrun by much. However, because you have your budget limit set so much higher than what you want to spend, this may result in your ads showing a lot in the early morning and/or afternoon hours, then being offline the rest of the day. (Setting your daily spending cap to a more realistic account will give your ads a chance to serve traffic later in the day.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, further to Theresa's advice, as I mentioned in the original thread, the solution to controlling budgets across multiple Campaigns efficiently is Scripts.  However, as Theresa points out, there are several reasons why curtailing Campaigns in this way may not be the best idea.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits