AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to stop an ad appearing that isn't in my adwords campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just noticed an ad for my company at the top of search results for 'sustainable architecture' which claims that we are "Qld's Leading Architect Firm" - an incorrect claim that makes us sound like wankers.  This ad is not in my Adwords campaign.  Where is it coming from and how do I stop it?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to stop an ad appearing that isn't in my adwords campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hey Andrew,

For a generic keyword, you cannot stop anyone from showing up their ad.
If they are using your brand name, the only way to ensure that this doesn't happen, you may want to trademark your brand name with Google.
Refer: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en#

For incorrect claims, I dont think you can do anything. As long as they dont associate your brand to it - you shouldnt be worried.

Also - have you got any affiliates advertising for you? If yes - you should ask them to stay off Google adWords since you are already running a separate account.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Andrew W,

Welcome.

I think your competitor is using your business name in their ad copies.Is your business name is registered/trade marked?

If your business name is registered then it is against the adwords policy & Google does not allow other competitors to use it in their AD text.However due to the the difference of local legislation this policy varies from country to country.

If your company name is registered then you can make a complain by filling up the GOOGLE ADWORDS TRADEMARK COMPLAINT FORM.

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you click on the ad - where does it take you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for the replies.  It doesn't appear to be a competitor doing it because the ad links to my company website, albeit to a page that no longer exists.  I was using an outside company to manage adwords until a couple of months ago and have just left the campaign the way they left it until now.  However, the ad in question is not in any Campaign.  Could it still be running because it's cached somewhere even if the management company deleted it months ago? 

BTW I also noticed that this company created ads with my phone number in it, which were paused, but two days ago I received notices from Google that these ads were not approved.  Fine by me, as I didn't create them, but it's weird that they would have been created a few months ago and I only now got the notices.  Something weird is happening!  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've created a couple of new ads, searched for our keywords and the new ad appears but with the same false claim as well as phone number links.  The links are broken although I have checked that the URL is correct in the Adwords console.  Any ideas where these unwanted changes are coming from?  Is there another add-on modification tool somewhere outside of the main Adwords console?

BTW, the phone number is correct but it appears nowhere in my Adwords console or any ads, that I can see.  Also, I have changed by password and deleted the access of the previous Adwords management company.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Found it .. in ad extensions. Phew. Thanks for your time.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Glad to hear you figured it out!