AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to show ads to all interests?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I want to start a new display campaign showing to all interests (or all topics). I thought by selecting the 16 top categories would be enough, but that doesn't select the sub-categories under it... is there a shortcut? I'd hate to hand select over 2000 manually UGH.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to show ads to all interests?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I found the answer on one of the help pages...

"If you add a top-level interest category, such as Arts & Entertainment, you'll reach people interested in all of its sub-categories, so there's no need to include each of them separately. However, if you want to see reports on how each sub-category performs, you can still add the individual sub-categories."

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I found the answer on one of the help pages...

"If you add a top-level interest category, such as Arts & Entertainment, you'll reach people interested in all of its sub-categories, so there's no need to include each of them separately. However, if you want to see reports on how each sub-category performs, you can still add the individual sub-categories."

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Following your experiment I have also added all the Topics in an "all websites" automatic campaign in order to see which ones have a higher CTR and eventually pause a topic or interest subcategory that has websites with low CTR.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Remember you can also see gender and age and do the same kind of optimizing. I think this is a great technique and can uncover some really good CTR and low CPC. Bid low and you'll get the cheapest placements across all websites. Of course most of them will not be in the top 1000 websites but you'll get more impressions because you'll be on many 1000's of others with low CPC. 

Who says you need to be on the top websites? Google wants you to believe that because the more advertisers that bid for them the more money they make. They cost too much because everyone is bidding to get there. Let others battle it out and flood your market with cheaper ads everywhere else. The most visited websites don't necessarily have the best click through rates.

This method of putting your ads everywhere allows you to find out EXACTLY what demographic targeting gives high CTR for your ads. Maybe you'll find people across all interests or gender or age click equally, but at least you'll KNOW what to do going forward. Once you get this information at the least cost possible, then you can pair this knowledge with additional targeting methods, like placements on  individual websites

Just getting high CTR and low CPC isn't everything. The ultimate goal is to track ROI, CPA, etc., but you gotta start somewhere.

Find out your most promising demographics first and go from there.. I think it's a good rule to follow Smiley Happy

Brian