AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to show ads only on mobile or pc devices?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community,

I have created separate ads for mobile devices and I want those ads to run only on mobile. All I am using is the bid adjustment option which helps me in controlling my ads for Mobile/PC devices. Just want to know that is there any other method or how effectively we can do that. What I am doing gives 60% results.

Kindly help!

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to show ads only on mobile or pc devices?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

If you are looking to serve one version of a text ad to desktop and one to mobile then simply make the mobile ad "mobile preferred" a simple check box that you check when creating or editing the ad.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clynton,

I am already doing it and getting impressios for mobile devices but getting impressions for PC also. So i just want to know that to how much extent this can be controlled? As I said, I am able to control it upto 60%. Is this possible to control it 100% ? I am sure it can be controlled more than 60%

And thanks for your answer and for your precious time.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

Unfortunately if you have both 'standard' and mobile preferred ads in your ad group and they are cross matching then there is not much that can be done. The setting is called 'mobile preferred' and not 'mobile only' because Google will on occasion choose one ad over another according to their mysterious algorithm.

The only other thing that I can think of that you can do is to ensure that your ads are set to rotate indefinitely and not set to optimise which might be why your mobile preferred ads are getting served in desktop more than they should.

Let me know if that makes a difference (or was already set to rotate indefinitely)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Let me brief you about my ad group. I have 1 campaign and only 1 ad group under it and only 1 ad in that ad group. And that ad is 'Mobile preferred' which obviously means that it will get preference for mobile devices while they may be displayed on other devices also. A year ago, AdWords allowed to choose the devices for which we want our ads to be displayed but now they have changed it. SO what I am doing is, I am bidding so less for the keywords that my ads will not get displayed but for mobile devices, I have enabled to automatically increase my bid by 200%. In this way I am able to get 60-70% impressions for mobile and 30-40% impressions for PC. So wanted to know any other option to do this.

And thanks for indefinitely ad rotation idea. That may work. Let me try that and I will definitely post after that.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok,

So you are looking to show for mobile only and not desktop. Unfortunately there is currently no way to show for mobile and not desktop. What you are currently doing is the only 'work around' that has been used and its effectiveness is somewhat dubious.

It has been stated that in order to show for mobile and not for desktop you set your CPC at 1/6th of what you are willing to pay and then increase mobile by 600%. This will not ensure that you do not show for desktop but the theory is that your bids will be too low and you will not be eligible for most desktop auctions, while still being able to show up for mobile.

I have never used this method myself, and it is clearly making the best of a bad situation.

So do what you are currently doing but to a more extreme level in order to reduce how many auctions you show up for on desktop.

If you currently have a setting of 50c CPC (with 200% mobile) then set your max CPC to 16/17c and set your mobile bid adjustment to 600%.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought the max bid adjustment for mobile was 300%. Has that changed recently?

Thanks for your time and help!
ana

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Rakesh,

I agree with Clynton on this. The strategy that you have employed here is the only 'work around' for targeting ads just on Mobile devices.

As suggested by Clynton, keep your normal CPC's as low as possible or as suggested at 1/6th the normal bid amount as possible and then increase your Mobile bid adjustment by 300% (the max that you are allowed at the moment) & not 600% (I believe, Clynton may have meant to write 300 but ended up writing 600 in stead).

I have colleagues who have employed this strategy and it has worked for them to some extent with some managing to garner up to 90% impression share on the Search Network. I suggest you follow this strategy while optimizing your bids & ad messaging to keep a check on your overall impression share for Mobile devices.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"