AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to set up a Google forwarding number for our website to track conversation calls from our ads?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are trying to add the forwarding number to our website to track calls from desktop ads. We want it to change the number on our website to the forwarding number to track those calls from the ads on a desktop. Currently, the call extensions will not allow us to set this up.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben J
November 2016

Re: How to set up a Google forwarding number for our website to track conversation calls from our ad

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ben,

In order to do this, there are a few steps. Basically they are:

1. Set up at least one normal call extension within your Adwords account, using a Google forwarding number.

2. Set up the website call conversion in your Adwords account.

3. Install the code needed into the head section of your website. 

Read More : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en-GB

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-57-15.pngSet up your call extension.

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-58-28.pngSet up your website call conversion

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-59-10.pngPart 2

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. 

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben J
November 2016

Re: How to set up a Google forwarding number for our website to track conversation calls from our ad

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ben,

In order to do this, there are a few steps. Basically they are:

1. Set up at least one normal call extension within your Adwords account, using a Google forwarding number.

2. Set up the website call conversion in your Adwords account.

3. Install the code needed into the head section of your website. 

Read More : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en-GB

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-57-15.pngSet up your call extension.

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-58-28.pngSet up your website call conversion

screenshot-adwords.google.com 2016-10-31 19-59-10.pngPart 2

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. 

Hope this helps! 

How to set up a Google forwarding number for our website to track conversation calls from our ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, but how do I set up a Google forwarding number for the call extensions? I have several call extensions but It won't let me set up the forwarding number.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

It's done automatically when you create the call extension and select call reporting "on".  

A google forwarding number isn't a static number, it changes every time it is shown in your ads/on your website. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But It keeps telling us we need a forwarding number to enable the desktop conversions. Then when we try to make a new call extension we can't select the right conversion action. It makes us use "calls from ad's" we want it to be "calls from desktops". We have already put the tag in our website but we can't make the right extensions for it to work.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I think you are a little confused. 

You don't need a new call extension, as long as you have one active call extension in your account using a forwarding number (which will mean you already have a Calls From Ads conversion set up automatically) then it will work. As long as you have installed the code correctly. 

Can you send a screenshot of the error message?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Acctuly your earlier post solved the problem. We were doing it wrong and had some technical issues. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've done everything according to instruction. But in my case autoreplaced Google forwarding number shows only for the first click. For next clicks shows always our number. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

There are two different conversion actions that you need.  One for the call extensions and one for calls "on your website".  For the calls once they reach your web site, you will need to add a script to your web site as well.  All of the instructions are in the conversion screen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've done that. I've got both of the extensions in Google AdWords and I've got script on my website. Number from Google which replaced on my website my standard number shows only on the first user's visit. If he'll return he'll see our standard number.