AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to set a rule to pause campaigns if position drops

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, How can I achieve this through a scrip or rule

Lets say I have a campaign turned on and I am currently in position 3 for this example, how can I

pause my campaign if it gets bumped below position 3 and how can I automatically bid 10% more before

pausing the whole campaign? Also how can I get an email notification when this happens?

--------

Example #2 

Lets say I have a campaign turned on and I am currently in position 3, how can I pause my campaign if its not getting clicked, Im thinking pausing based on impression and low CTR

thanks

Re: How to set a rule to pause campaigns if position drops

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jorge,

In this article you can find the section "Pausing low-performing ads or keywords" which may help you.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710

For your #1 question, I think you should consider splitting your actions into 2 rules and maybe adjust a little bit:

1. Bidding 10% more IF position gets worse than 3
2. Pause your campaigns if your average position gets worse than 4

I think that creating both rules using "3rd position" as key factor, will cause your campaign to pause and bid 10% more at the same time, which has no value to you.

-------

As for your 2nd question. I wouldn't suggest pausing campaigns based on numbers of received clicks, since that can indicate that you have a low quality Ad and should write another one.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answers,

About #1 - I will try your suggestions

#2 - I would not pause my campaign based on the number of clicks it gets, I would like to pause it to correct the text on the ad but I would like to pause it and get a notification so that I can log in and change it, I would just hate to keep the ad running if no one is clicking on it and having to find out before its too late

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jorge,

It's important to tell that Adwords is not something that you'll set up once and let it run. You should have an analysis and optimization process and schedule for this to work, otherwise, several market factors can make all your efforts go to waste. If don't keep up to the changes, you'll be wasting your money on Adwords, not investing on it.

Checking your campaigns results is something that you should do twice a week at minimum. This will guarantee that you figure out if something is going on. There's a "user side" work, you can't expect Adwords to do everything and just let you know. Adwords is a very powerful tool, but Human factor is very important in my personal opinion.

This means that you don't have to pause your ad to make changes. You just let things happen, analyse them and change accordingly on demand.

Also, Adwords system is based on criteria such as RELEVANCE and HISTORICAL DATA, so having ads that pause often, will cause Adwords to understand that this is a common behavior, and you may not get the result you want. It's better if the system understand that "if something is not working so well, oh, the user changed and improved and now it's better".

This is my personal opinion, of course Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click