AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to serve only interstitial banners in mobile apps campaigns ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have some rather large banners for mobile apps, 640 x 100 px.

I want them to serve as interstitial banners (full screen on mobiles) because of the higher CTR and better chance of conversion. I have seen these types of ads inside some android Apps .

I want to avoid normal serving of ads along with other content.

Can this be achieved? thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to serve only interstitial banners in mobile apps campaigns ?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian B,

Mobile interstitials can take one of three ad sizes: 300x250, 320x480, and/or 480x320 images.

Create a regular display campaign targeting mobile apps, and be sure to upload the image sizes that render as interstitials.

1. Create a display campaign targeting mobile apps.

2. Choose the ‘Image’ template (first tab), and fill out the requested information.  

3. If you want to run both banners & Interstitials, you’re good to go!  If you’d like to only run Interstitials (no banners), navigate to the Display Network tab and click on “Add exclusions” under Campaign Level exclusions.

4. Select the “Gmob mobile app non-interstitial” category to exclude.  

I hope this helps!

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

Yes, You can upload the Doubled Sized banner ads e.g 600 X 100 for high resolution display devices. AdWords Would automatically adjust the image based on the device’s display size.

Please read more about in the below link:- Under Headline "Reaching Specific Apps or App categories in Display Network"
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722057?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian B,

Mobile interstitials can take one of three ad sizes: 300x250, 320x480, and/or 480x320 images.

Create a regular display campaign targeting mobile apps, and be sure to upload the image sizes that render as interstitials.

1. Create a display campaign targeting mobile apps.

2. Choose the ‘Image’ template (first tab), and fill out the requested information.  

3. If you want to run both banners & Interstitials, you’re good to go!  If you’d like to only run Interstitials (no banners), navigate to the Display Network tab and click on “Add exclusions” under Campaign Level exclusions.

4. Select the “Gmob mobile app non-interstitial” category to exclude.  

I hope this helps!

Kathleen

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much.

So you are saying that I cannot upload 640 x 100 banners to run only as interstitials inside mobile apps ? I have to use smaller versions , even if some devices use a high pixel density and high resolution ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

One more issue : Interstitials are supposed to run full-screen. If the device is QFHD or FHD resolution, google resizes our tiny banners to that resolution or they are slammed in front of the screen with a black border around them to fill the space ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

Yes, You can upload the Doubled Sized banner ads e.g 600 X 100 for high resolution display devices. AdWords Would automatically adjust the image based on the device’s display size.

Please read more about in the below link:- Under Headline "Reaching Specific Apps or App categories in Display Network"
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722057?hl=en
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, so I can create even a bigger size to serve on tablets, as it says there

"Interstitial sizes for tablets: 1024 x 768 and 768 x 1024."

Thank you Rakesh

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Thanks Rakesh!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am still a little bit confused so I will take advantage of your knowledge. The help page says 

""You can upload double-sized images (for example, a 640 x 100 image for a 320 x 50 ad slot) for high-resolution display devices. "

So only the pixel density will be affected, but the slot of the Ad is still 320x50. How will that look on a full HD resolution of a phone , compare this size 320 x 50 with the phone screen space of 1920 x 1680 px .

So a question still remains for me, if @KathleenG can enlighten me :

When such a small banner is served as interstitial (which I understand to be the only object on screen) , is is upscaled to match the screen resolution or is it kept in a small resolution and a border is built around it ?

Thank you.

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,
I'm not 100% sure - let me find the answer for you.

Kathleen

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed that google removed all the info about interstitials from that help page linked by Rakesh after our conversation. Interesting Smiley Happy

However I know how to look at the cached version so I will post below the old content, which is now found here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fYHZzz_9lYsJ:https://support.google.com/adwords...

interstitials-mobile-apps.png