AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to scale exact vs broad/phrase match

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Im a bit confused.

Currently i have one group set up for exact match phrases, including the word find hats

Lets say i want to test and do phrase or broad match of the term find hats

Currently i have many exact matches in the --find hats--- group.....

like how to find hats, where to find hats.....

What happens when i enable --find hats-- itself to go phrase or broad... what is going to happen when someone searches ..... how to find hats.... is it going to trigger the find hats set to broad match or will it trigger the exact match phrase i have set up now for how to find hats?

Im very confused on how to work with exact matches that work within the same group as a relatively similar keyword set to phrase or broad match....

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Re: How to scale exact vs broad/phrase match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Curiouss,

Google has a system in place for determining which keyword will "match" the search query when there are multiple options within a campaign/ad group etc...

There are a few different factors taken into account depending on which criteria you fall into.

Take a look here:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Curiouss,

Google has a system in place for determining which keyword will "match" the search query when there are multiple options within a campaign/ad group etc...

There are a few different factors taken into account depending on which criteria you fall into.

Take a look here:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would add these articles to help you define your strategy in grouping words

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Same-key-words-with-different-match-types/ba-p...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Running-2-Match-types/m-p/56242/highlight/tr...

Do not use broad matches since they trigger synonims , use words with + from the Broad Match Modifier form.

Also while using kegative keywords you should know that they do not include close variations and if you make a 2 word negative keyword, both words act as negatives.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So, aren´t there any dis-advantages with using the keyword with multiple match types?
Yes, depending on how you like to build your campaigns and what tools you use to analyze your results, there could be disadvantages as well. 
For example, you might draw the conclusion that all searches for red shoes have been catched by the exact match [red shoes] just because that is a better match. But that isn´t necessarily true. If +red +shoes has a higher AdRank, it could be that keyword that is choosen for the auction from your account, and the figure for impressions for [red shoes] is not what you think it is (you might think: exactly that many searches for that).

So it seems the CTR would be the only issue here.

My conclusion is this:

Run my campaign as this---

Find hats---phrase match

how to find hats---exact

where to find hats--exact

Once the --find hats-- starts bringing in new long tail keywords that convert i should:

1) add them to the campaign as an exact match

2) raise the bid higher than whatever it is in --find hats-- phrase because i know what im getting

this may sound stupid but one of my best keywords is a long tail of find hats..... which is     how to find hats

so i now went in and added       how to find hats  again except i added it on phrase match.. and i made it slightly lower bid than the exact match variation....

but considering   how to find hats converted so well im thinking i will be able to get more volume while maintaing a great conversion rate

im assuming i will pick up things such as

how to find hats in new york

how to find hats on halloween

This way   how to find hats  willl stay the way it was and not be touched, while we will be able to get even more variations of the word... pretty complex but seems to be the only way to do it without leaving money on the table.

Im essentially added a phrase match of a highly converting long tail exact match....

this is not my actual keyword but the variation makes sense for mine.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Why wait for search terms ? 

Have you tried the keyword tool for researching ? It can show you also approximate CPC if you activate a "non-default" column.

While searching "find hats" in all US it shows me 18.000 searches and you can sort "ascending" by "approximate CPC" in order to see which are the cheapest keywords. In this printscreen the prices are in another currency , you can divide by 3.3 and you will get the dollar value for that.

Also an obvious conclusion is that the word "caps" instead of "hats" has a much larger search volume

find-hats-keyword-tool-sample.png

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

well im in a fairly niche industry so its not like there are many variations... alot of my traffic needs to come from long tails... and that picture is a great example....

literally almost none of those keywords would work so i dont think that tool helps me, maybe im confused but again the data it shows you there would not be relevant or helpful.

--edited--

Ahh i see keyword IDEAS, ive never even clicked that ... only AD GROUP IDEAS...

this looks great thank you

question... why when i do research for exact match with the keyword tool the APPROX CPC... is always way off... its always much lower than what they say it will be?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It won't show you exact values, they are averages from all the adwords users and also they changed the name of the column to "approximate" to render it more vague.

You can also have fun with the "keyword planner" which gives me totally weird values for the same search "US" language=english. It must still be in beta testing since it shows me keywords with 0 value in the whole US.

You can also improve your strategy by going to the Ads tab and choosing the "segment" button and the option "Keyword/Placement" , this way you can see what combination of Ad + keyword was the most successful and you can try to generate more ads that include the successful keyword.

keyword_planner.png