AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to remove Google generated phone number in search results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We saw sometime ago that Google decided to put auto generated phone numbers in our ads. The issue I see is I am fairly sure these numbers do not stay with us as company for a long time. If clients write this number down and call us in 2 weeks, 1 month or whatever they would not get us but would get whomever is using that number for that time. Is this correct? If so why can't Google just list our phone number instead? Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How to remove Google generated phone number in search results.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jayiconcmo and welcome to the forum.  

Google won't have "decided" on their own to add phone numbers to your Ads.  They would have had to come from you (or your company) in some fashion.  There are a variety of ways for phone numbers to appear on Ads but all of them start with the account owner.

The number could be coming from a Google Places account (read more here), a "standard" Call Extension (read more about extensions here) or from a Google Forwarding Number (read more here).

In the case of the Google Forwarding Number, the number itself will be provided by Google but a) it will forward to your "real" phone number and b) this process is still initiated by the account owner, not Google themselves.

Of course, it could also be that the number is simply included in the Ad creative in which case it is editable within your account.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jayiconcmo and welcome to the forum.  

Google won't have "decided" on their own to add phone numbers to your Ads.  They would have had to come from you (or your company) in some fashion.  There are a variety of ways for phone numbers to appear on Ads but all of them start with the account owner.

The number could be coming from a Google Places account (read more here), a "standard" Call Extension (read more about extensions here) or from a Google Forwarding Number (read more here).

In the case of the Google Forwarding Number, the number itself will be provided by Google but a) it will forward to your "real" phone number and b) this process is still initiated by the account owner, not Google themselves.

Of course, it could also be that the number is simply included in the Ad creative in which case it is editable within your account.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cobnut,

Thank you for your reply. I may have to clarify after I read your response. My apologies. I will use another company in this example because I could not get ours to come up in the paid ads. You will notice in the paid ads this company has a phone number listed on the search results for 855-629-6702. However if you go to their website their real phone number is 877-346-8120. This is what is happening to us. In addition we are getting calls from people looking for our competitors software. Almost like a number for our competitors is now forwarding to our actual real phone number. Please see image of a search result.

Thanks

jay

Not applicable
# 4
Not applicable

No response because google is complete garbage.

LET US PUT OUR PHONE NUMBERS IN THE AD TEXT.