AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to pause two ads with lowest CTR in bulk?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I would like to optimize CTR for my ads. I currently have four ads in one ad group and would like to pause two of them that have the lowest CTR and replace them with two news ones. However, I have a hundred ad groups in one campaign. What would be the most efficient way to pause ads with low CTR?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to pause two ads with lowest CTR in bulk?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Automated rules, look them up

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

I would say that the most efficient way is actually AdWords Editor, Google's offline tool for account management.

While the program doesn't have a function that allows you to pull "the two ads with the lowest CTR in each Ad Group" (too many fuzzy variables), what it does allow you to do is to navigate between Ad Groups and make bulk changes much more quickly than the online UI. (AdWords Editor is text-based, so you don't have to wait out the lag time for loading graphics and complex menus.)  You can work inside the Editor iteself, or export/load data in bulk from a speadsheet program.

I'd recommend checking it out--if you have a larger campaign to work on, it can make some of the simpler tasks (like loading new ads) much, much faster.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Adrian B wrote:

Automated rules, look them up

Could you please elaborate? How could someone iterate through let's say three ad groups, each with four ads, and pause the two with the lowest CTR in each ad group?

I don't seem to find any option to compare the CTR of one ad with the CTR of another ad, within one ad group, nevermind iterating through all ad groups in one campaign, using automated rules.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curious
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Calin,

Thank you for passing the ball instead of scoring a slam-dunk yourself.

I would start by saying that "in a blind man world, the one eyed man is king". Now, with my one eye, I've quickly targeted the question mark and read the question "What would be the most efficient way to pause ads with low CTR?"

And directed him to search for this page https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en

Where he could find how to pause all ads that do not perform above a given CTR

Here's how to create this rule:

1. Click All online campaigns in the left panel of your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Ads tab.
  3. Click the Automate button, and select "Pause ads when..." from the drop-down.
  4. In the "Apply to" section, choose All but deleted ads in all campaigns.
  5. Choose the Automatic action Pause ads.
  6. Set the requirements for CTR < 0.2 and Impressions >= 1000.
  7. In the "Frequency" section, choose Daily using data from the Last 14 days.
  8. Name and save your rule.

You made me open the other eye and see that the problem could be solved by AdWords scripts, particularly a script that he can find here, but more subtle, in the comments and with a slight correction.

http://www.freeadwordsscripts.com/2012/11/automatically-pause-ads-with-low-ctr.html

Now this script pauses all ads but 1 in every ad group, keeping the champion ad active , BUT in the comments a user asks exactly his question how to delete 1 worst ad, and it is enough to adapt the script for 2 ads like this

function main() {
  // Let's start by getting all of the adGroups that are active
  var ag_iter = AdWordsApp.adGroups()
  .withCondition("Status = ENABLED")
  .get();

// Then we will go through each one
  while (ag_iter.hasNext()) {
    var ag = ag_iter.next();
    var ad_iter = ag.ads()
      .withCondition("Status = ENABLED")
      .forDateRange("ALL_TIME")
      .orderBy("Ctr ASC")
      .withLimit(2)
      .get();
   if(ad_iter.hasNext()) {
ad_iter.next().pause();
}
  }
}

The final problem is to understand that maybe it is better for the QS to just delete those ads by changing the final function

ad_iter.next()..remove()

I hope this works as Calin would most surely verify it and make any necessary corrections Smiley Happy !

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
>>Thank you for passing the ball instead of scoring a slam-dunk yourself.<<

Good early morning Smiley Happy. And you're welcome. It's all about teamwork Smiley Happy.

I'm sure that the script above (or an adjusted version) works, yet I was already half asleep when I posted and could not elaborate any further. Scripts are cool. Very cool, actually.

I might test this one, but have to find an account with several ad groups where I have more than two active ads.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

However, now that we've progressed with this thread and found out that automated rules do not work in this particular case, let's turn it into a crowd sourced, educational thread. A complex quiz, if you all wish.

Would it be a good idea to perform this task via scripts? And if the answer is yes, then what is the above script / approach lacking?

What would be the:

• pros
  • cons
  • caveats

?

Let's recap the conditions:

• 100+ ad groups
  • four ads in each group
  • two with the lowest CTR need to be paused, periodically (please note that there is no ad group CTR threshold, so in some ad groups we may pause ads with 5% CTR, while in other ad groups we may keep ads with a 1.5% CTR)
  • two new ads have to be created and replace the paused ones

Let's do it, community Smiley Happy.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Interesting info. Not answering your last question as such but asking another one...

I'm not sure that pausing ads based on CTR is the best way to go. One ad may have a relatively poor CTR but also have worse average position and have been shown on search partners more etc. It may also have a better conversion rate (and even be being served more often by Google in which case they reckon it is working better and I think they are probably right more often than not)...