AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to increase coversation rate?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How to increase conversation rate?My keywords are relevant but my ad didn't get enough clicks?My ad positions are nearly 4 -5.Do this may be the problem?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to increase coversation rate?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anne,

There are two sides to this issue - there is what is going on in the AdWords side of things and then there is what is going oin one the website side of things. Let's look at them separately...

Within AdWords - and in a very general way - the lower the ad position the poorer the quality of the visitor tends to be in terms of conversion. I know this is a sweeping statement to make and others might call me out on this, but in my experience this tends to be the case. There are a number of reasons for this including relevance (the higher the relevance of the search term the better your quality score is likely to be and the higher up the ad positions you are likely to be) and information overload - by the time a searcher looks at your ad in the 5th positoin, they have probably looked at tow or three others and now have more information than they needed and now find it hard to make a decision....

Testing (try using experiments within AdWords to test increased bids on a proportion of your traffic) will help you determine how significant a factor the ad position is...

Then there is what is going on on your site. If visitors are well qualified i n terms of their keyword search and the ad is clear, then you will also need to see what you can do on the page to encourage more conversions.

Again, try testing - this time using Google Content Experiments within Analytics to discover which landing pages work best for you.

Through continual testing and adjustment you will gradually improve your conversion rates.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
i read somewher that the best positions are 4 and 5 to avoid click happy searchers is this true or it depends on a variety of factors?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

In my opinion, aiming high just for the sake of a high position can be expensive at times.

I think every account has a capability of converting at different positions and it all depends upon how you are going to optimize it.

Lets say you have an ad position of 1.2 and you have consistently maintained that position but without any conversions for the last 15 or 20 days.

And on the contrary if you reduce the bid and your ad position is somewhere nearly 3 or 4 to the right side, you start getting conversions. So what ad position would you prefer?

Would you still go with 1.2 or between 3 and 4 where you are getting your right audiences.

My whole idea is to analyse the account effectively and see where your audiences have converted the most. Then eye that position and try to maintain it so that your ROI increases.

My thoughts only!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The first thing I would like to add is that : the avg. pos. that you see in adwords is calculated only for impressions not for clicks. You may have your ad mostly on position 5, and for that 5% of impressions when it is in the position 1 or 2 it gets clicks.

If you have conversions defined as Goals in analytics , there is a way to see at what positions you receive the best conversion rates. Straight in analytics there is the last report "keyword positions".After you select from the "Explorer" something like "Goal set 1" and from the 3rd column the "Goal conversion rate" It shows you data that can look like this :

top-conversion-3rd-position.png

Also by default it shows you the ad slot position where the keyword received clicks, how many for the top 3 positions and how many for the 8 positions on the side.

goal-conversion-per-position.png