AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to force keyword planner to exact match ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am starting to get a bit crazy over this Smiley Tongue

I am asking Keyword planner a volume estimation on "Operational Transformation" (niche dev stuff) exact it keeps showing me the volume for "Operation Transformation" (some TV show about loosing weight or something). I know it does because if I type Operation Transformation, it gives me exactly the same result. Which is way higher than the average volume for the topic I am trying to cover.

I've tried the exclusion filter on the left (put "operation" in it), didn't change a thing.
I've tried to request specifically "operation" on the same column, didn't change a thing.
I've typed [operation transformation] in the keyword field (added the brackets), didn't change a thing.

Any idea ?

Thx in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Re: How to force keyword planner to exact match ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Gregory_M,

If you hover over the "?" icon for the search term you are looking for above the column "avg. monthly searches" you'll see that it states the following:

"The average number of times people have searched for this exact keyword based on the date range and targeting settings that you've selected. "

This means it is already filtered to show only the number of instances users typed in that exact search term.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Daniel Gilbert have great article which is answering to your question

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Guidelines, This was done following multiple reports from expert Community members who've reported the linked-to article as being outdated, and thus potentially misleading. Thank you for your understanding.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Gregory_M,

If you hover over the "?" icon for the search term you are looking for above the column "avg. monthly searches" you'll see that it states the following:

"The average number of times people have searched for this exact keyword based on the date range and targeting settings that you've selected. "

This means it is already filtered to show only the number of instances users typed in that exact search term.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Armen S

Please note that this article is quite old and the "tool" has changed significantly;

That's the reason we rarely allow  on this community resources which are not Google's or endorsed by Google: we have no control on the content and can't correct the source if found inaccurate;

Thank you

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’