AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to find out how many call extensions were clicked?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

At the moment, my mobile call extensions and desktop call extension are both setup to show "Website and phone number".  So in the call dimensions, when I segment by click type - "headline" click would mean click to the website and "Mobile click to call" click would mean click to initiate a phone call. Question #1: Am I correct in this assumption?

Question #2: If my mobile click to call says 10 clicks, how can I see in Analytics how many of these clicks went through with the full call or ended up on the website?

In short, how can I know the following:

1. How many clicks on the mobile ad
  2. How many clicks on the mobile call extension
  3. How many clicks turned to calls after mobile call extension

Please help,

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: How to find out how many call extensions were clicked?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you are right about you have said, but keep in mind clicks-to-call are reported as soon as someone clicks the “Call” button, whether or not the call is completed.

How many clicks on the mobile ad?

You can segment the data by devices.

How many clicks on the mobile call extension?

When you segment by click type, the "Mobile click to call" are the clicks on the mobile call extensions.

How many clicks turned to calls after mobile call extension?
You can't track that unless you are using Google forward numbers, and as i said before clicks-to-call are reported as soon as someone clicks the “Call” button, whether or not the call is completed.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, you are right about you have said, but keep in mind clicks-to-call are reported as soon as someone clicks the “Call” button, whether or not the call is completed.

How many clicks on the mobile ad?

You can segment the data by devices.

How many clicks on the mobile call extension?

When you segment by click type, the "Mobile click to call" are the clicks on the mobile call extensions.

How many clicks turned to calls after mobile call extension?
You can't track that unless you are using Google forward numbers, and as i said before clicks-to-call are reported as soon as someone clicks the “Call” button, whether or not the call is completed.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thanks Ahmed!
Before posting, I was going through this post: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Call-Extension-97-clicks-3-calls/m-p/6209...

And there it was mentioned that he was tracking on analytics. Could he have meant Google forwarding or am I missing something?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
No, you can't use anayltics to track calls. You have to use Google forwarding number to get more statistics like call duration, call start and end time, caller area code, and whether the call was connected.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
I see, thanks so much Ahmed!

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
They weren't tracking calls - He was trying to compare website visits to mobile click to call clicks, which have nothing to do with each other...

In the other thread, his numbers would seem to suggest that he's using click to call only, and users do NOT want to initiate a call. They want to go to the website. Which is why out of 100 CTC clicks only 3-4 actual intended calls came through.

Also, if you don't give users an option to click through to the website, then you're not even going to get any traffic out of the click costs.

In short, don't try to do what the other guy did. Smiley Happy Get your call forwarding numbers call extensions setup. Analyze the call details in the dimensions tab. Then build a call strategy based on the results.
Tom

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Thanks Tom, but unfortunately - I'm in Canada so no Google forwarding numbers Smiley Sad