AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude visitors based on browser/OS

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to exclude visitors those who are on Macintosh or Linux. Is there any way out?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author utilitiesindia
September 2015

Re: How to exclude visitors based on browser/OS

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Utilitiesindia,

In the AdWords interface, there are some options for targeting users by OS or provider but these are limited to mobile campaigns.

You can read more about this here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1722028

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author utilitiesindia
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Utilitiesindia,

In the AdWords interface, there are some options for targeting users by OS or provider but these are limited to mobile campaigns.

You can read more about this here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=1722028

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Utilitiesindia,

If you are talking about Desktop and Laptops, than its not possible to target or exclude particular OS in adwords.

Regards

-Vicky

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi utilitiesindia,

I dont think we can exclude Macintosh or Linux operating systems in Search. 

Thanks

Raghu

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, but I do believe providing option for this will be very easy for Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's ridiculous that they still don't support this.  We need to target only Mac users. It would be extremely simple to do from a technical standpoint.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is an interesting and relevant problem that has caused me to cease spending money on Adwords campaigns.
My website will not work with IE6 and has limited functionality with IE7. So, I have never had a paid order from users that use those browsers.
However, when I run my adwords campaigns, of the 1818 click throughs I received to my site in the period of interest, 442 were IE6 users and 538 were IE7 users.
More than half of my adwords spend was a complete waste of money.

I can't stop the ads showing to users of older browsers, but Google certainly could. But, why would they throw away that revenue? As it is, I lose money on adwords campaigns just because I cannot filter out which browser users the ads are shown to.

If the webusers choose to use old, non-functional browsers, it should be just there problem, but when you pay for adwords and your site doesn't support old IE versions, it becomes the advertisers problem also. Google just laughs their way to the bank.

The salient point is, that I think a lot of web site owners don't really know enough about where their orders are coming from to make sound decisions on whether to continue to spend on adwords.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is the option to build a segmented audience with Google Analytics remarketing, which will include visitors using non-windows operating systems.

Then in a Display Network Campaign only, you can exclude this audience in order to avoid the "return visit" of those users.

The downside is that at least a visit needs to be recorded in order to block the user from re-visiting and if he/she deletes the browser cookies, the blocking will no longer have an effect.

However in the previously mentioned case when 50% of users came from a certain browser, this method of excluding a segmented audience can be useful after 100 cookies are recorded , in order for the audience to be applied. Read more here about how to exclude an audience : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe they don't want loose money by excluding browsers. But this is a mandatory requirement fo optimize a campaign.