AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude sales from the remarketing list - use a custom combination list?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

After searching, it seems that a custom combination list created by excluding the sales list from the remarketing list is the way to go. But I'm confused by the terminology used:

'None of these audiences'

It sounds like people in the audience won't be included in any way - but does it actually mean the people from this list will be removed from another list?

And is this how I would set things up?

The site visits list set to AND

and

The sales list set to NONE

Then use the resulting new list for remarketing - does that sound right?

Cheers

Ben

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
March 2016

Re: How to exclude sales from the remarketing list - use a custom combination list?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi, yes it must be used in the same way to target all the visitors except the converters.
All visitors and
And none of converters.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
March 2016

Re: How to exclude sales from the remarketing list - use a custom combination list?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi, yes it must be used in the same way to target all the visitors except the converters.
All visitors and
And none of converters.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
As @Archit said you are on the right track. For detailed information you can refer to the below link.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Robin

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ben - yes, as the others here suggest you are setting it up correctly.

Here's a simple way to think about it... you can be on as many lists as you like - So if you visited the site you are on the all visitor list. If you downloaded the special report (just an example) you are on the special report list. If there is a list of all visitors with a 7 day duration, you're on that list too. And then if there is a converted customer list - and you converted, then you are on that list also.

Now - when setting up remarketing I might want to push out a special message to people that downloaded the special report in the past 7 days... so I can select to target the 7 day list AND the special report list - thus you have to be on both lists to be targeted... if you didn't download the special report you're not on the list - even if your visit was in the past 7 days. and if your visit was 8 or more days ago, you're not on the list even though you downloaded the special report.

Now that this list is ready.... ooops, wait - I don't want to waste money advertising to people that have already converted, so let's add another condition - to add NONE of the people on the converter list to this combination.

So now you have anyone who downloaded the special report within the past 7 days but who didn't actually convert on their visit.

Notice that you were not removed from any of the lists... you are still on all three lists and it is the combination conditions that change.

Hope that helps....

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Ben, also you can create exclusions in your remarketing campaign. Let's say you are targeting "all visitors" list. You can simply add "people who had converted" list in your campaign audience exclusions.

Or you can use Google Analytics. I am setting my remarketing list only in Google Analytics as it gives much more flexibilty. 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2611404?hl=en

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency