AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to ensure image ads will trigger over text ads when both are available on a site?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone,

I have a question related to Display network. I tried to browse for answer but couldn't find one, so here I am looking for help.

It is beneficial to place image ads and text ads for the display network into two identical ad groups. How do we ensure that when available for the same site that the image ad group is triggered whenever possible?

On the search side we do this with embedded matching.Is there a way to control which ad group is utilize?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to ensure image ads will trigger over text ads when both are available on a site?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Imre78;

Separate your text ads and image ads into separate ad-groups.

In the image ad-group, include all available sizes, so there is an image ad to fit any "slot" on any web page. (On every web page you can find different allocations for image ads. You you have all sizes available to fit into any given slot)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: How to ensure image ads will trigger over text ads when both are available on a site?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

How to ensure image ads will trigger over text ads when both are available on a site?

As far as I know, to win the ad position, your image ads should have a higher relative ctr + higher bid compared to your text ads.

Because Image ads rank in position 1.That means, your ad either shows or it doesn’t.show! So if your Image ads is not eligible then, automatically it checks if your text ads is eligible to enter the auction to take one of the three available slots.

You can find related answers to your question at this thread.

More Power,
Loraine

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

How do we ensure that when available for the same site that the image ad group is triggered whenever possible?

There isn´t a way to ensure this, but if you increase the bid for image ad (which you only can do if they are in different ad groups) you can make it a little probable.
Your image ad basically must beat the adrank of all other ads that is eligible for that adslot, and as there sometimes is room for 3 or more text ads in an ad slot the image ad will have to beat them all at the same time. 

It´s really difficult to information about eCPM that comes directly from Google but here is something: http://adwords.blogspot.se/2005/10/image-ad-answers.html

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone, thank you for your help.
My image and text ads are in separate ad groups. But they have the same setups (same placements, exclusions etc.), so I wondered how can I make sure image ads are showing instead of text ads when both are available on a site. (so text ads are showing only if image ads are not available on a site).

Will review the links you provided.

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again Imre78;

Ohhh . I got you This is really a nice question :

Let's say that we have a slot that can take 1 image ad, or 3 text ads.  Google does not disclose (as far as I know - but the Display  network is changing fast.... . smileyhappySmiley Happy, when it chooses to show one image ad vs.  text ads. However, it is quite evidently clear, that you'll have to bid higher for the image ad (that occupies 3 "text" slots), than for a single text ad. (Please note: Double Serving still applies - only one ad will be served whether it's text or image)

That's another reason why I recommend to  separate image ads and text ads on Display.

I hope this is much clearer now.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’