AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into advanced features like Remarketing, Flexible Bid Strategies, AdWords Editor, and AdWords Scripts
Guide Me
star_border

How to disable Automatic Placement

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do you disable or delete Automatic Placement on a Campaign. I have both text and image ads on this campaign but would like to use Managed Placements exclusively (after setting up the Campaign with Automatic Placement).

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to disable Automatic Placement

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I think what you are referring to are your reach settings that are found on the settings tab.  Perhaps this will help:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1209882

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

You need to edit Network section of your campaign

Settings > Networks > Edit >

Select 'Specific Reach', this will limit the ads to your selected managed placements.

Hope this helps.

Info

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Cavemedia,

In addition to the replies above, please see this article about managed placements. You can also exclude certain placements following the steps here

Hope this helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was told today in a "Help" chat that this information, found here http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99463# , is outdated.

The new way to turn off automatic placements is found here: 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1209882&from=2575708&rd=1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As of Jan 2013, the way to turn off Automatic Placements is to turn off Display Campaign Optimizer in your Campaign Settings under the Advanced Settings > Automatic Campaign Optimization section. This prevents AdWords from Auto-Targetting your Ads based on keywords and other parameters.

N/A
# 7
N/A

None of these methods show me how to turn off automatic placements on the display netwrok as far as I can tell

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Automatic Placements is a feature of the Display Campaign Optimizer. Find and turn off The Display Campaign Optimizer and you will have have full control of your campaign again.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

wrote:

None of these methods show me how to turn off automatic placements on the display netwrok as far as I can tell

Hi,

The DCO issue is only relevant if you have DCO turned on to start with, that is not a complete solution by itself, automatic placements are still used without DCO.  

You will need to adjust your targeting settings accordingly...there are many combinations of targeting options that use automatic placements.  

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en&from=2575708&rd=1

If you're still having trouble, please start a new discussion as this one is outdated (AdWords moves fast) and not as many people will see it to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bid $0.02 default and much higher for managed placements. The bid is too low to show ads on automatic placements. You will only show on your higher bidded management placements.